Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Cam wont go past 1/200...no flash

Hello, everyone! 

So, it seems like no one else has had this problem...ever. But my T3 just will not go past 1/200, and the flash isn't on! No matter what mode, it won't exceed 1/200. I've had to postpone my action shot business because of this, and Canon suggests sending it in but I'm a little scared to do that Smiley LOL

Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

Re: Cam wont go past 1/200...no flash

[ Edited ]

1/200 is your max camera-flash sync speed.  Your flash can't operate in normal mode at a shutter speed faster than 1/200. You should have the camera in HSS (high speed sync) mode to use flash at faster than 1/200. 

Try resetting all the settings in your camera to default settings. It sounds like you have maybe turned HSS off and maybe something else on top of that.  I think the camera is in HSS by default. If the reset doesn't work look in the settings menu to be sure HSS is on. 

Scott

Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
New Contributor

That is understandable but no flash is being used. I have reset all settings, even reset back to factory default settings, and nothing has changed :/

Respected Contributor

There is a small switch that senses if the camera has a flash attached.

Flash switch

It could be stuck down.