cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Rebel T6 problems

ryanisthefitz
Contributor

I was so enthusiastic to open my new 'full-size' Canon camera after using a small point and shoot for over a decade, only to find that it would not read the flash card that came with the camera bundle on Amazon.  The card is a Sandisk 32gb SDHC Class 10 48mb/s.  I cannot see any reason why this card should be incompatible with this camera.  The error message is that "Card cannot be accessed...." and when I try to format it, I get "Cannot format, change card".  I would most appreciate a pointer or two from someone else who has solved this problem.  

22 REPLIES 22

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Check the read/write tab on the SD card.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yea, I've tried playing with that, thanks.

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

Yes, that would irritate me to no end too.

One issue that could happen, but not too likely, is the card isn't seated properly. Remove it and put it back in. I suspect you have done that already, but if you haven't, ... . While you have it out, look at the contacts to make sure they are not damaged. If you have a micro SD card, check the holder as well as the card and that the microSD is firmly seated in the holder. 

If you have a card reader or computer with a memory card slot, (or someone with one) you can try to see if it will read / write through that. If the card can read / write then you will know it isn't the card. If it doesn't read / write then I would think its the card. (You can always format the card after this test so don't worry about putting Windows stuff on it.)

Next, and this is recommended, get a second card.  A 32 Gb from Walmart for under $25; all the top brands are good but look for one that has a carrying box*. A spare is always good to have and if you take a lot of photos, you will end up needing one at the worst time. If that card doesn't work then you know its the camera for sure. 

Good luck.

*If you carry a spare card you don't want it loose. Most, but not all, cards come with a small box they fit in. Keep your spare in one so the contacts and the card don't get damaged..

I assume your old camera used an SD card too.  Can you try that card in your new T6 to see if it is recognized and can be formatted?  The problem is either the card or the camera, so it should be easy to figure out where the problem lies.

If the camera won't recognize any card, simply arrange for a repair or replacement under warranty.  Some retailers will also do an exchange of a defective product, so that may also be an option.

Thank you, I thought this was a good idea as well. Not only does the working card from my other camera not work in the T6, but I also tried the new card in the old camera and it seems to work just fine.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ryanisthefitz wrote:

I was so enthusiastic to open my new 'full-size' Canon camera after using a small point and shoot for over a decade, only to find that it would not read the flash card that came with the camera bundle on Amazon.  The card is a Sandisk 32gb SDHC Class 10 48mb/s.  I cannot see any reason why this card should be incompatible with this camera.  The error message is that "Card cannot be accessed...." and when I try to format it, I get "Cannot format, change card".  I would most appreciate a pointer or two from someone else who has solved this problem.  

Is this the 'Bundle' you purchased?

Unauthorized Reseller

That's not the exact one but it is close.  Thank you for the reply.  The exact one I can't find right now as it was a birthday present.

@ryanisthefitz wrote:

That's not the exact one but it is close.  Thank you for the reply.  The exact one I can't find right now as it was a birthday present.

Generally those kinds of bundles are a 'red flag'. The seller bundles a bunch of stuff that low quality and of little real world use. Those kinds of bundles on Amazon are from 3rd party sellers, not, Amazon themselves.

When buying from Amazon stick with those items that are 'Sold and Shipped by Amazon', that way you are ensured that it is being purchased from an Authorized Canon Dealer, which Amazon is.

If you are within the 30 day return period, I would go onto Amazon and request a return as not working / defective. When you get the credit from Amazon, just buy the camera and lens combo that is sold and shipped by Amazon. 

Same goes for the memory card, a 32gb Sandisk Ultra card is fine, just make sure it is sold and shipped by Amazon as there are counterfeit Sandisk cards being sold by disreputable dealers. 

TTMartin wrote: 

If you are within the 30 day return period, I would go onto Amazon and request a return as not working / defective. When you get the credit from Amazon, just buy the camera and lens combo that is sold and shipped by Amazon. 

If the seller doesn't authorize a return immediately or gives you any kind of run around (asking for pictures or anything else), just file a claim under Amazon's A-Z guarantee. Don't let the seller play games with you, like offering to send a new SD card, because all they are trying to do is push you beyond your 30 day window. Again, go online at Amazon request the return, if the seller doesn't authorize the return for ANY reason, file the A-Z claim immediately. 

Announcements