cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry line in the viewfinder and on the photo

Mmeyer
Contributor
Hi I have a canon eos rebel g and a canon eos rebel k2 that has a blurry line going through the middle of the viewfinder and it appears on the photo to could this be caused from a warped mirror or the like don't know if a mirror can get warped but the odd thing is is it shows up in the same spot on both cameras with different lenses have a 35-80 mm on the rebel g and a 75-300 mm on the rebel k2 and for more on why I think it's the mirror or something along them lines is I can see it with out the lens on if it is the mirror where can I get a new one if it's replaceable any help is welcome thanks
15 REPLIES 15

ScottyP
Authority

It sounds like a hair or a strand of fuzz on the sensor. 

Take the lens off. Go go into Menu and lock up the mirror for manual cleaning so you can see your sensor behind the mirror. With a light and a magnifying glass or a loupe you may be able to see it. 

With the mirror locked up out up out of the way give the sensor several blasts with a squeeze bulb blower like a Rocket Blower. Hold the camera facing down so any dislodged junk can fall out.  This is detailed in the manual and you can also look at many free video tutorials on the internet. 

If if the blower can't get it all you may need a sensor cleaning.  Again internet videos abound.  Anything from soft brushes to sticky gel pads to a wet clean with tiny squeegees and a drop of alcohol based cleaning solution. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself a camera store or repair shop can do it or you can mail it to Canon for a cleaning. 

Post an image to be sure but I'm betting this is it. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Rebel G and Rebel K2 are film cameras.

Maybe the mirror is stuck?

Can you remove lens from both cameras and compare mirror positions?

Do you get a whole image with a line or just part of an image?

Can you scan and post the problem print?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Mmeyer
Contributor
Both mirrors in same position and I get the whole image with a line as for scanning don't have a scanner but how do you upload photos can take a picture of it and show that way

0726171026a.jpgboth these are from the rebel g the brighter the lighting the more noticeable it is don't have any from the k2 yet just brought in a roll about a week ago but I noticed the line in the viewfinder the same one as in the rebel g and when you take the lens off and look through it it (the blurry line) shows as a black line0726171026.jpg

If you look in the lens opening do you see a hair or something like that?

If you see it in viewfinder and it shows up on film it has to be between the lens and the mirror. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

No hairs or dust bought a can of canned air and blasted them both and still there could it just be the way the light hits the mirror cause sometimes it shows up and sometimes it don't 

Mirror should be out of the way when yo take a photo. 

I am am at a loss. 

PS. Stop using the canned air. Use a squeeze blower. Canned air propellant can leave residue on surfaces. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ok thanks for the tip will do and thanks for trying to help

Are those a portrait *and* a landscape shot? i.e., does the line change direction?

Announcements