cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Splotches Showing Up In Video

Crowbird
Contributor

So I noticed this week that I'm getting blue splotches (and a lot of them) showing up in my footage, more specifically outside and in the brown colors (trees, fields, rocks, etc.) I'm shooting on a Rebel t5i. Here is an example. This video has it the worst and it even shows up some in the water. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!Image Issue.jpg

18 REPLIES 18

Crowbird
Contributor
Is that an issue that can be fixed by settings or is it a bigger issue?

ScottyP
Authority

Wish I knew more about video, but when I zoom in I see blue/green and red splotches.  It isn't limited to a fringe along hard edges like chromatic aberration (purple & green fringing) but that could nevertheless be part of the issue.  

It really looks more to me like color noise artifacts.

The small phone screen isn't helping me here. 

What ISO were you using?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I believe I was using 400 while filming this shot.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Crowbird wrote:

So I noticed this week that I'm getting blue splotches (and a lot of them) showing up in my footage, more specifically outside and in the brown colors (trees, fields, rocks, etc.) I'm shooting on a Rebel t5i. Here is an example. This video has it the worst and it even shows up some in the water. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

What where you cameras settings what ISO, Aperture, and shutter speed?

ISO: 400
Aperture: 3.5
Shutter Speed: I'm not entirely sure. Possibly anywhere from 200-600

@Crowbird wrote:

ISO: 400
Aperture: 3.5
Shutter Speed: I'm not entirely sure. Possibly anywhere from 200-600

At ISO 400 most likely it is not noise, but, chromatic aberration. 

What lens are you using?

It's a stock lens that came with the camera. Canon EF-S 18-55mm.

@Crowbird wrote:
It's a stock lens that came with the camera. Canon EF-S 18-55mm.

Has the lens been dropped?

BTW, as a rule of thumb, you want the denominator of your shutter speed to be approximately double the number of frames per second that you are recording. In other words, if you are recording at 30 frames per second, you want your shutter speed to be 1/60th of a second.

No the lens has always been handled with care and placed in a bag after every use. Had it for 2 1/2 years.

And thanks! That's a good tip I wasn't aware of.
Announcements