Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Birding On a tight budget - should I buy less now or wait to buy right?

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"They aren't getting a penny from me any longer."

I am sure they aren't concerned.  And, there lies the problem.

But whose problem is it, Adobe's or their customers'? The plain truth is that there's a lot less difference than there once was between the capability of Adobe's products and that of their competitors. Maybe they're foolish not to be concerned.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Super Contributor

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"They aren't getting a penny from me any longer."

I am sure they aren't concerned.  And, there lies the problem.

But whose problem is it, Adobe's or their customers'? The plain truth is that there's a lot less difference than there once was between the capability of Adobe's products and that of their competitors. Maybe they're foolish not to be concerned.

I believe you hit the naiil on the head, Robert. While Adobe products may still be superior to those of its competitors, the gap is closing, and closing fast. For most of us, there is simply no reason to send a monthly gift to Adobe for the rest of our lives. There are too many other products that do a fantastic job. For the majority of them, you buy it once and the product is yours. Upgrades are not always must-haves and even if you do want to upgrade now and again, you aren't forced into it. And it is affordable, not a lifelong tribute you must send in.

For pros like Ernie, and others who may have hundreds of thousands or millions of images to consider, it is likely not worth the hassle or headache to make a move to another product. I suspect that they know they are being ripped off and jerked around, but they have no reasonable alternative, and so they asquiesce to the situation. For the rest of us, there is simply no reason to get into an unacceptable financial arrangement that Adobe forces down your throat. There are too many alternatives now, and I for one expect that Adobe will feel it in their bottom line at some point. And speaking of other products I am taking another look at ON1. 

VIP

Now don't get me wrong guys.  I am not on Adobe's side on this.  I was one of the loudest protesters when they announced this nonsense.  But the facts are, Adobe is making more money that ever.  Just check their stock price.

The bottom line, Photoshop and Lightroom are the "standards" of the industry. Until that changes, not in any foreseeable future, no software that is 'just as good' has a chance.  The also-runs will be left to the amateurs.

At this point if you want the best, the most compatible with the industry you go rental only.  As to upgrades, I have not upgraded since Adobe stopped upgrading CS6 and LR6 woth ACR9.  Has not been a problem.  If you are just starting out like our OP and waht the best $9.99 isn't all that bad.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all!  This is all really valuable information. I don't have any of these suggested programs yet. 

Karen