Canon Community Canon Community

Super Contributor

Re: Birding On a tight budget - should I buy less now or wait to buy right?

"When you get some budget for a new editor get Lightroom.  At this point is is only available with a rental mode from Adobe.  It is $9.99 per month and it includes Photoshop."

Well, there are two versions at that price point -- the Lightroom CC Plan, which gives you 1TB of storage but no Photoshop, and the Lightroom Classic version, which gives you a measely 20GB of storage along with Photoshop access. I assume from your statement above you are advising the rental of the Lightroom Classic plan? 

Of course, Adobe generously allows you to rent additional cloud storage for an extra $9.99 per month, per TB. When one does the math, it is clear why so many photographers have decided to abandon Adobe and its monthly money-grab. Great products, though, no doubt. And a very lucrative business model. I tip my hat to the corporation for being as clever as it is in designing a confusing but successful rental business.

VIP

Here is a bird from the job. Smiley Happy  70mm isn't exactly a good or choice lens but you use what you have.

_DX_3318.jpg

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
VIP

"When one does the math, it is clear why so many photographers have decided to abandon Adobe and its monthly money-grab."

I stopped lamb blasting Adobe a while ago since there is nothing I can do about it but I doubt any serious photographer has abandoned LR and PS.  None of my colleges that are still in the business has.  And, to be honest that is the group that Adobe has always courted anyway.  None-the-less LR and PS are the best. No two ways about it.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Here is a bird from the job. Smiley Happy  70mm isn't exactly a good or choice lens but you use what you have.

Nice. Did you darken the top part of the sky in post or was that a CP of some kind?

And I agree, I think there is much to be said for "using what you have." Among other things, you have to learn something about photography -- composition, light, manual mode, Av/Tv priorities, zooming with your feet when need be, the importance of post, etc. My belief is that too many people jump into high-end gear too soon, believing it will instantly transform their shots into something miraculous. Then when they discover that it merely magnifies their mistakes and lack of photographic ability, and that the gear itself isn't a magic wand, the stuff starts to collect dust on a shelf. 

Super Contributor

"I stopped lamb blasting Adobe a while ago..."

Lamb blasting? I'm going to make a note of that and file it away so that I might use it myself sometime LOL. 

VIP

"Lamb blasting? I'm going to make a note of that and file it away so that I might use it myself sometime LOL."

It is an emphatic colloquial interrogative. An informal, slang in English that should be reserved primarily for speech, but can and is used in written texts.  I.E. writing the way one would speak.

My mother was an English professor at Alabama State!

Super Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Lamb blasting? I'm going to make a note of that and file it away so that I might use it myself sometime LOL."

It is an emphatic colloquial interrogative. An informal, slang in English that should be reserved primarily for speech, but can and is used in written texts.  I.E. writing the way one would speak.

My mother was an English professor at Alabama State!

LOL Great stuff Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Ernie,

Beautiful pictures. I don't only take birds either. Smiley Happy Just a good place to start learning. 

Valued Contributor

LoL..  and here I thought it was "Lamb Basting"...  all my life. 

Flame Adobe..  oh, I'll do that...  You guys can have it.  They aren't getting a penny from me any longer. 

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.3) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.0) ~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 1.03) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DPP 4.8.20 ~Windows10 Pro nVidia GPU 1803 ~Android 8.1
VIP

"They aren't getting a penny from me any longer."

I am sure they aren't concerned.  And, there lies the problem.