cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Birding On a tight budget - should I buy less now or wait to buy right?

kneale
Contributor

Hi all. I love nature and am tired of using only my iphone. I've had cameras in the past but it has been years. So long in fact, when I tried to hook my old Pentax DSLR up to my Macbook, it was incompatible, so no way to download my photos. So, now I am looking at Canon Rebels including the SL2, T7i and also the D77.

My goal, other than being able to take photos of my kids, is to shoot nature. I love to garden and we have many birds, bees and butterflies that come into the garden on a regular basis. I also have lots of flowers and want to capture them as well. My husband would like to use the camera for video capture of his Tankganyikan Cichlids (fish). 

My dilemma is I've watched so many Youtube videos and it seems I "need" at least the Canon T7i or D77 to be able to even get a mediocre shot (according to all of the "experts"), and I honestly can't afford the price point of either of these with all the lenses. I can afford the D77 body only, which obviously does me no good. The T7i is slightly better but only with the 18-55 lens. I can just afford the SL2 with the kit 18-55 and the 55-250. 

I'm at a loss. To hear most of the Youtubers anything less than at least one of these is a waste of money. No camera means no pictures but I am wondering if I should just hold off and save up for the better camera, the D77 or maybe even the D80. What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thank you!

63 REPLIES 63

Actually, I just found they do have a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens in stock as well for $200, which is doable if I buy the T7i but not if I buy the D77. 

I realize these lenses are probably very inferior to what I really need. I am just trying to get started with what I can afford right now.

"...EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens...I realize these lenses are probably very inferior to what I really need."

IMHO, I would not buy it. It is not a good lens and you will quickly outgrow it. You will be buying the same thing virtually twice.  Save that $200 towards the real deal 150-600mm zoom.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ok, will do!! So you seem to be steering me clear of the D77 altogether. Your advice would be to stick with the T7i and go for the 18-55 and save my pennies for the real deal 150-600 lens....

Karen,

Glad you are gettng closer to a decision.

Ernie is right.  Many of the "kit deals" on Amazon should not be trusted.  While I have purchased a few lenses there, they were all either sold by Amazon or from a trusted authorized Canon reseller such as Digital Goja in FL.  These days I buy my equipment from B&H or Canon.  I did just buy a Sigma Dock "Kit" from from Amazon (Digital Goja) actually, but it was a cleaning kit bundle for the same price (with tax or without) and everyone needs a few lens puffers, cleaning cloths, etc. 

But definitely stay away from sellers offering a complete package that includes tripod, filters, flash, memory card, storage bag.. and so on.  These are often grey market or refurbished produtcs and you just don't know what you're getting.  While saving money is impotant, deals on Canon's site come and go.  Somethimes its timing.  Good luchk, you're in the home stretch.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I see the Rebel T7i with the 18-55mm for $750 or with the 18-135mm for $1050.  IMHO, I would go for the 18-55mm and put the saved $300 bucks toward one of the 150-600 super zooms.  The refurb store had an 80D with the 18-55mm for $950. Or, they had a T6i with the 18-135mm for $750.  You might want to snoop around there to see what they have on sale.

EB

Ok, Thanks so much!

Karen

This is not a super sharp shot as I had the snap it hand holding my biy Siggy S 150-600mm zoom. But it is sorta cool with the hummer chasing away the wasp from the feeder.

1111.jpg

EB

Great shot...  Bird >>> Bug!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanx, it was a 'quickie' !

EB

So I ended up buying the 77D. Here is my very first bird in flight shot. Please, I am aware it is awful. Just wanted to share because even though it is blurry and way sub par compared to what most here are probably capable of, it is my first and I am excited about it. It was taken through my living room window from about 25 feet away. I used the kit lens, Canon EFS 18-135 USM. 

Karen

33488795_10216035273585660_3642136948522352640_n.jpg33165993_10216035251825116_4770237321729540096_n.jpg

Announcements