cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best rebel series for film making

Paulyfe12
Contributor
I have looked at the t2i t3i t4i t5i and even the t6i as a worthy buy for a film making camera. The issue I am having is making sense of all the minuet differences when it comes to film making and video only as most reviews focus mostly if not all on pictures. I figured the t2i or t3i shooting raw using magic lantern would get me the detail I want for post production editing. However the thought of causing issues with my camera scares me. Which is why I have a few questions. Btw my up coming project is going to be an action/horror film. Basically requires detail for post editing and use with adobe after effects and a good amount of low light shooting.

1. Is there a point in the rebel lineup (t2i t3i t4i t5i t6i) where the features given by magic lantern become default on the camera? (Thinking of raw footage, slo mo, etc). And of course if one model has features that don't benefit a film maker then please let me know to drop that option.

2. would the Panasonic gh4 with the metabones speed booster (raises low light performance) be a better choice for overall film making for the money or is the price for that setup just way too much compared to the cost efffectivness of the rebel series?

3. Is there a speed booster(or something that raises low light performance) for the canon rebel series?

This is going to be my first dslr and my first serious dive into HD film making. A good friend told me to work on my story telling and shot setup before taking this leap. But I realized where the ceiling for picture quality, editability, and shot design without the great glass and components of a dslr.

Any help would be great, thank you
23 REPLIES 23

Paulyfe12
Contributor
The M5, alright I'll take a look thanks. And yea I searched for a speedbooster for the rebels and didn't find anything. Just figured maybe someone knew something I couldn't find

Paulyfe12
Contributor
If it makes any difference I was going to get myself a stabilizer or a lower end gimble to help with those sort of things. As far as the sound goes most of it would be mixed yes I was planning on that.

@Paulyfe12 wrote:
If it makes any difference I was going to get myself a stabilizer or a lower end gimble to help with those sort of things. As far as the sound goes most of it would be mixed yes I was planning on that.

Seeing how you're just starting out, I would recommend investing in a video tripod, with a pan/tilt video head, before a stabilizer rig with a gimbal head.  Those rigs typically cost more than most Rebels.  You do not want to buy a cheap rig.

The quality of your videos will be no better than the weakest link in your work flow and gear.  Moving the camera will filming video will introduce a can of worms related to exposure control issues.  Rebels are ill suited for video, especially if you are moving the camera, which can potentially introduce variations in exposure.

I also suggest that you invest in a good grey card, so that you can get your White Balance set correctly.  You want video that you shot today to look like the video you shot yestererday, or might shoot tomorrow.  You will need to document everything about your filming processes.  These tasks are the responsibility of a "production designer."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Paulyfe12
Contributor
Yea my plan was to shoot everything I can in a plain setting on the camera and color correct everything in post. But yea a grey card would help immensely and the pan/tilt tripod is a good call. I guess I've just seen how good shots are with even a basic stabilizer and got kinda hooked on recreating it
Announcements