cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB deal on T6i

birish21
Contributor

All,

I currently have a T3i and my only lense is the FF 28-135.  I have been looking at new glass for my crop sensor to be able to get some nice wide angle landscape shots and I am pretty sold on the 18-135.  I just noticed a deal on BB for a T6i with the 18-135 and the 55-250 for $1K.  Is this a pretty good deal, or should I just keep the T3i and get the lenses seperate?  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

@birish21wrote:

All,

I currently have a T3i and my only lense is the FF 28-135.  I have been looking at new glass for my crop sensor to be able to get some nice wide angle landscape shots and I am pretty sold on the 18-135.  I just noticed a deal on BB for a T6i with the 18-135 and the 55-250 for $1K.  Is this a pretty good deal, or should I just keep the T3i and get the lenses seperate?  Thanks.

People in the forum have said good things about the 55-250. So if your objective were to increase your reach at the telephoto end, that might be a good deal. But if your objective is to improve at the wide end, I think I'd go for the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@birish21wrote:

All,

I wouldn't make a kit purchase from BB.  Same kit is available for $749, no tax and free shipping.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1213683-REG/canon_eos_rebel_t6i_dslr.html

Side by side comparison.  Stepping up from Digic 4 to 6, better ISO, more AF points and bump from 18 > 24MP.  The lenses coupled with a newer body will be huge.   

Is the body you have now meeting your needs?  If yes, consider the lenses.  Bob's suggestion of the 17-55 is excellent.  Its simply one of the best EF-S lenses available, cost to value ratio and performance.  Depends on your intended use.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@birish21wrote:

All,

No, I do not think it is a good deal.  The deals on "new" Canon gear is available through the Canon Online Refurbished store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6i-ef-s-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-kit-with-ef-s-55-2...

It is currently out of stock.  Keep checking to see when it comes back in stock.  But, the single best way to improve your photographs is to buy a high quality lens.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

While the aforementioned EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS STM is a great lens, if you want wide angle on a crop body, then you might consider the EF-S 10-18mm, or the EF-S 10-22mm.  I recommend the 10-22mm, which has a much better build.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The reason I was looking at Best Buy was for the 24 month interest free financing.  I like the T3i, however I like the new sensor and WiFi features of the newer cameras.  I figured if I was going to spend 700 on a lense then maybe I could look into kits on a newer body.  Also I’m moving to Guam in a couple of months so waiting for the refurbed site is pushing the line.

@birish21wrote:

The reason I was looking at Best Buy was for the 24 month interest free financing.  I like the T3i, however I like the new sensor and WiFi features of the newer cameras.  I figured if I was going to spend 700 on a lense then maybe I could look into kits on a newer body.  Also I’m moving to Guam in a couple of months so waiting for the refurbed site is pushing the line.

The T6i body is in stock without a lens, as a body only.  [was in stock, now]  While the T6i is definitely an upgrade over a T3i, there are choices that are upgrades to a T6i.  The 77D is in stock with a great lens.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-77d-ef-s-18-55-is-stm-kit-refurbished

Wi-Fi does not necessarily mean wireless networking on your home LAN.  Wi-Fi file transfers are slow compared to USB.  I bought a Wi-Fi enabled DSLR, have had it for three years, and can count on one hand how many times I have used the wireless functionality.  I used it for remote shooting.  I used the larger screen on my iPad for manually focusing on the Moon.

Again, a lens will make the biggest difference in your photos.  Your photos will never be better than the quality of your lens.  The EF-S 55-250mm kit lenses are better than the EF 70-300mm kit lenses.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-55-250mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-telephoto-zoom-lens-refurbish...

Another great lens to have is a fast prime.  Here's one of the best buys for a consumer lenses.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-50mm-f-18-stm-refurbished

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-10-18mm-f45-56-is-stm-refurbished

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-10-22mm-f-35-45-usm-refurbished

As demonstrated by the T6i as a body only, items can sell out in the blink of an eye.

I can relate to the long term financing from BB, but you usually pay for it in the form of a higher selling price, especially on older models.

That’s what I wanted to do for my tripod shots, use my iPad.  Yea you are right, the canon store sells out really quick.  Is the 77d a big jump from the 6ti or 7ti?

BB has the 77D with 18-55STM for 799.  If I threw on a 55-250, with maybe a 10-22 I should be ok?  I have a Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 on the way as well.

The 77D is a major jump over the T6i, most particularly the AF system.  The same AF seems to be also used in the T7i and the 80D, but with a varying number of features made available.  

If you can swing for the 80D, that is the body to get, although, a serious lens upgrade will give you the best improvement in your image quality.

I would return the Yungnuo lens, and get the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.  

Major difference in quality, both image and build.  The most common complaint about the Yungnuo lenses is that they are noisy, which means gears rubbing together that will eventually wear out fairly quickly.  Lenses should last longer than camera bodies, not the other way around. 

Also, if you use Canon’s DPP software, then you will NOT be able to apply lens correction.  Canon’s DPP software only corrects for Canon lenses.  If you do not shoot RAW, and process the images into JPEG, then I suggest that you start.

Buying one HIGH QUALITY lens is a much better path than buying 2-3 “good” lenses.  Once you try a high quality lens, then you will understand what I mean.  The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, which I linked above in the Refurb store, will give you some idea of what i am talking about.

What you have picked out from BB is a good package.  But, before you begin making a heavy investment in high quality lenses, I suggest that you make a decision now as to whether or not you want EF or EF-S lenses.  You currently own one EF consumer grade lens.  

Generally, the EF lenses have better bodies than EF-S lenses.  But, moat EF-S lenses tend to be newer designs than the consumer grade EF lenses, so that the EF-S lenses tend to have better image quality, most particularly the “STM” lenses. 

Thank you for your advice.  I got the 50 just to see what it is like shooting with a prime, and since it was only $50, it’s not that big a deal if it wears down.  I prob won’t ever use the camera for video so noise is even less a factor for me.  I didn’t buy the EF lense, it was given to me with an old 10D so I have no loyalty to any type of lense.

Announcements