cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

450d error 01

doughie
Contributor

Hi

i have just bought my daughter a used canon 450d as a starter camera that was supposed to be working well,however it keeps coming up with  error 01 especially when using a slower shutter speed  (1/8 second) my brother has the same camera and usually has no problems but he only ever uses it on auto,when i used his camera on manual with a slow shutter speed it also had the same error.As both cameras are around 9 years old now i am wondering if something is worn and it is a common fault on older camerss or it needs a good service or it is not worth spending too much money on.

Has anyone else had these problems? if so how did you get it fixed?

Any advice much appreciated,my daughter is very disappointed in her xmas present and i'm looking a bad dad for not buying a new camera.

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/How-to-fix-error-01-quot-communication-between-the-camer...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Stephen

Hi doughie!

In addition to the troubleshooting in the other thread that jrhoffman posted, you'll want to try another lens. Any other Canon lens. Error 01 means that the camera is having a problem communicating with the lens in some way. It can be a dirty contact, or can be a malfunction with the lens itself - be it an electrical problem, or a physical malfunction with the aperture blades of the lens, or focusing mechanism. 

If you've tried a different lens, and it's still giving you the error message, there may be an issue with the camera. 

The EOS 450D isn't a model that's sold here in the USA, we have the EOS Rebel XSi, and that model isn't repaired any longer, as it's past its repair life. The Rebel XSi came out in 2008. 

Thanks for the reply,i have tried three different lenses but all of them are Sigma lenses,possibly Sigma don't communicate as well as Canon? I will borrow my brothers Canon lens and see if it faults with that.I also reset the camera back to default settings which improved things slightly but it still faults at slower shutter speeds.

Check the sigma website and see if they have firmware updates for the Canon version lenses. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"... , i have tried three different lenses but all of them are Sigma lenses,..."

Which Sigma lenses, exactly, do you have?  Also you need not try cleaning the contacts since all three exhibit the same issue.

I am going to bet that if the camera is not a candidate for repair neither will be the lenses.  But I will also bet it is the lenses and not the camera.  Try a real deal Canon lens as soon as you can and let us know.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi,

The lenses are:

sigma autofocus DL zoom 35-80mm 1:4 - 5.6

sigma autofocus UC zoom 70 - 210mm 1:4 - 5.6

sigma autofocus DL zoom 75 - 300 mm  1:4 - 5.6

I was sold the camera with all three of these lenses and told all was working well but they are obviously not,they are also causing the same fault on my brothers canon 450d body so i suspect you are right and it is the lenses at fault but would a firmware change in the camera sort the problem out? I will try my brothers canon lens as soon as possible and let you know how i go on.Thanks very much for your help.

"... would a firmware change in the camera sort the problem out?

No it won't.  Canon doesn't try to make off brand lenses work with their cameras.  That is a problem for the lens maker. 

Sometimes they don't do as well as they should.  The problem is usually with older lenses and newer cameras or older cameras and newer lenses.  Same generations usually work OK.

EB

"sigma autofocus DL zoom 35-80mm 1:4 - 5.6

sigma autofocus UC zoom 70 - 210mm 1:4 - 5.6

sigma autofocus DL zoom 75 - 300 mm  1:4 - 5.6"

These are all older lenses and are no longer being made. I doubt they are even being serviced either.  At any rate even the shipping charges are probably more than they are worth.   Sorry! 

"all three of these lenses and told all was working well", you were lied to.  Smiley Sad

EB

Hi Again,

I have just been to my brothers house and tried his canon lens and it works fine also my lenses cause his camera to fault also,it looks like you are spot on and i've been ripped off.

Many thanks for your advice

Announcements