Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: 400D Firmware - Anomolous Behaviour

The official recommendation is simply to use a card formatted with FAT16, no bigger than 2GB and to have it formatted in the camera.  No speficic brands are quoted in the guide.

However, your guidance is noted and I'll likely get another CF card - to your point, a borked firmware is just a hassle to remediate.

The main reason for me upgrading to 1.1.X from 1.0.4 is to allow for the firmware hack for my model, allowing spot metering, and also for me to get MassStorage USB capabilities.

The camera is 100% as is.

Esteemed Contributor

@IRONcastwrote:

The official recommendation is simply to use a card formatted with FAT16, no bigger than 2GB and to have it formatted in the camera.  No speficic brands are quoted in the guide.

However, your guidance is noted and I'll likely get another CF card - to your point, a borked firmware is just a hassle to remediate.

The main reason for me upgrading to 1.1.X from 1.0.4 is to allow for the firmware hack for my model, allowing spot metering, and also for me to get MassStorage USB capabilities.

The camera is 100% as is.

Interesting. I've always wondered why I couldn't find the setting on my XTi to have it use the old protocol that cameras once used to talk to a computer via USB. (Cameras of that vintage spanned the transition and could supposedly be set to use either one.) I wonder now if a firmware upgrade removed it.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
VIP

"...use a card formatted with FAT16, no bigger than 2GB and to have it formatted in the camera."

This is what I would do.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Honored Contributor

@ebiggs1

"...use a card formatted with FAT16, no bigger than 2GB and to have it formatted in the camera."

Good luck finding one.  This may be a validreason to shop on eBay or Amazon for memory cards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor

@Waddizzlewrote:

@ebiggs1

Good luck finding one.  This may be a validreason to shop on eBay or Amazon for memory cards.

Probably everyone of a certain age has one or two of them kicking around.

Bob
VIP

"... everyone of a certain age has one or two of them kicking around."

Smiley Happy Yup ! I do..............

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
VIP

[ Edited ]

"Good luck finding one. "

It is possible to down size a CF card if you know how to use Windows command "Windows-> Start -> cmd)"

I think Windows disk management can do it also.

Occasional Contributor

I'm an enterprise linux engineer (it's just a title, trust me lol) and have been partitioning disks / arrays for around 12 years so I'm well equipped to partition petty much anything.  The amount of hacks we've had to do to get things to work makes me giggle nowdays.

You'd be correct in saying WIndows Disk Management is the easiest, and even diskpart- I'll shoot straight to linux tools Smiley Wink

Let me attempt this and hopefuly won't bork the camera.

Esteemed Contributor

@IRONcastwrote:

I'm an enterprise linux engineer (it's just a title, trust me lol) and have been partitioning disks / arrays for around 12 years so I'm well equipped to partition petty much anything.  The amount of hacks we've had to do to get things to work makes me giggle nowdays.

You'd be correct in saying WIndows Disk Management is the easiest, and even diskpart- I'll shoot straight to linux tools Smiley Wink

Let me attempt this and hopefuly won't bork the camera.

Maybe you'll get lucky. But if it doesn't work, you won't know for certain whether it was the camera's inability to follow the machinations performed on the file system or something else. So if that happens, you'll pretty much have to try a CF card of the correct size.

Bob
Occasional Contributor

Correct - shouldI go the partition route I will only attempt an update once the camera successfully reads, formats and stores in that partition.