cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

400D Firmware - Anomolous Behaviour

IRONcast
Contributor

Here's an issue:

400D running firmware: 1.0.4 - I am trying to update to 1.0.5, 1.1.0 or 1.1.1 - all have failed.

Attempt 1: EOS Utility - failed - it copies the .fir file to the CF card (Kingston 8GB) (correctly named) (the red LED on the camera indicates a copy operation), and the camera correctly reboots, to display 'Firmware Not Found' - this is after several formats of the CF card on both PC and Camera beforehand - to ensure it's clean.  After, I can see the 4.6MB file had been copied onto the card - but the camera doesn't find it.

Attempt 2: CF Card Reader: formatted CF card in camera, then copied .fir file directly onto root of CF card - and updated via camera menu - which still cannot find the firmwre update on the card.

I have not renamed the file - my only conclusion is: the CF card, Kingston 8GB, is too large /not supported.

I have downloaded several copies of said firmwre, and three revisions to make sure it's not the file.

Essentilly, no matter what I do, the camera can't see the firmware on the CF card...

Any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20

@IRONcastwrote:

Here's an issue:

400D running firmware: 1.0.4 - I am trying to update to 1.0.5, 1.1.0 or 1.1.1 - all have failed.

Attempt 1: EOS Utility - failed - it copies the .fir file to the CF card (Kingston 8GB) (correctly named) (the red LED on the camera indicates a copy operation), and the camera correctly reboots, to display 'Firmware Not Found' - this is after several formats of the CF card on both PC and Camera beforehand - to ensure it's clean.  After, I can see the 4.6MB file had been copied onto the card - but the camera doesn't find it.

Attempt 2: CF Card Reader: formatted CF card in camera, then copied .fir file directly onto root of CF card - and updated via camera menu - which still cannot find the firmwre update on the card.

I have not renamed the file - my only conclusion is: the CF card, Kingston 8GB, is too large /not supported.

I have downloaded several copies of said firmwre, and three revisions to make sure it's not the file.

Essentilly, no matter what I do, the camera can't see the firmware on the CF card...

Any ideas?

The firmware file you're trying to use is a .FIR file, right? Those things tend to download as a .ZIP file, so you have to extract the underlying .FIR file.

And the card reader confirms that the file at least made it to the card?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for the prompt response - yes, I am aware of the Self-Extracting ZIP Executable, and have specifically loaded the .fir file (after sitting with issues, one tends to follow the guides line by line) - so I am confident I've not lost a step along the way.

I will confirm the .fir file made it, many times over, to the CF card - both by letting the EOS utility copy it, and by using a CF reader.

Your 8GB card should be supported.  Since you are having difficulty, try using another card to get the FW updated. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsportswrote:

Your 8GB card should be supported.  Since you are having difficulty, try using another card to get the FW updated. 

I'd definitely try a smaller card. Since the camera is well out of Rev, it's possible that one of the firmware updates has to be installed before the camera will support an 8GB card.

My wife and I had XTi's (i.e., 400D's) as our first DSLRs. IIRC, the cards that came with them were no larger than about 2GB.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm probably making too much of a stretch here...thinking outside the box a bit...But what if...you could make a 2GB partition on the CF card, or whatever kind of card it uses. Load the required file(s) on to the smaller partition and load that card into the camera? Do you suppose it might fool the camera into thinking it was reading a 2GB card?

For that matter, is it even possible to partition a flash memory card? Proceed with this at your own risk. Robot tongue

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Extract the update.

Formant the CF card in the computer.

Copy the extracted .fir file to the CF card while still in the computer.  You need to use Explorer to do this or whatever its called on a Mac.

Put the CF card back into the camera which off.

Turn the camera on and follow the menu tabs to install the FW.

If this dosen't work call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

IRONcast
Contributor
This is the plan, yes! The cars must be FAT16, I’m considering partitioning a chunk into a 512MB and ignoring the rest for now. If that doesn’t work I’ll find a smaller CF card under 2GB, to the guidance above - note: the camera reads all 8GB as it is.

It also crossed my mind: what if the small battery cell is affecting this operation? It is flat anyway so removing the battery results in the date being lost. Although the operation is performed with the battery in, so there’s always power - and yes, it’s fully charged.

The button battery is not the issue.  And, I don't think a partition is the answer, or a good idea, either.  Canon does not state that in the instructions.

I don't think it is the 8gb CF card, either, but I would get the proper CF card that Canon recommends.  You really need to do this exactly the way Canon says.  Stop trying 'work arounds'.

Does the camera work as normal right now?  If the FW is screwed up because of a failed attempt, you can not fix it.  It needs to go to Canon service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements