cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55mm kit lens autofocus broken

Nabilmuafa
Contributor

i just realized i posted this on General Discussion before...

So basically my kit lens had its Autofocus broken. It wont autofocus at all, you can only focus it manually. Usually when you press the shutter button it will autofocus, right? But not for my lens. Actually they are still moving and trying to focus when I press the shutter button. But the final results, the lens failed to focus. The autofocus mark on the middle of the screen went red. But sometimes, it went green, but still blurring and failed to focus.

Actually this problem started a few months ago and i've posted a message here, too. But a few months ago, things haven't gone such bad, the autofocus still works but only when the optical zoom position was on 18mm or 55mm. And last week, the 55mm autofocus went broken, so I can only autofocus when the optical zoom was on 18mm. And yesterday, the autofocus completely broken.

Any solution? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

If you have another camera to test the lens with try that.

Inspect the contacts on the lens and body for debris.

Reset your camera to default settings. 

The first step will likely confirm if its the lens or something else.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

If you have another camera to test the lens with try that.

Inspect the contacts on the lens and body for debris.

Reset your camera to default settings. 

The first step will likely confirm if its the lens or something else.   

Thanks for the tips.

Instead of testing the lens using another camera, I tested my camera using another lens (also a kit lens) and it works perfectly fine. But it wasn't my lens, it was my friend's. So I've been able to ensure that the problem comes from the lens, my lens.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Smiley Happy

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Smiley Happy

3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  9. Take a test photo.

Thanks for the tips, but unfortunately this doesn't work at all.

@Nabilmuafa wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Smiley Happy

7. Turn the camera on.
  9. Take a test photo.

Thanks for the tips, but unfortunately this doesn't work at all.

The fix that Ernie proposed has been known to succeed, but it isn't a panacea. Since it didn't work in this case, you have two choices: have the lens repaired or replace it. But you'll probably find that having it repaired isn't cost-effective.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"But you'll probably find that having it repaired isn't cost-effective."

Cost effective or not, you want the newer version anyway, the Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.  White box is under $250.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements