cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which T should I get?

Davy123
Contributor

Hello, I started out with the canon rebel 35mm years ago. Great camera, couldn't take a bad picture with it. Still keep it in my bag ready to go.  I moved up to the digital rebel T1i years ago.  Also great camera.  Lens that I use are 18-55, 55-250, an 75-300 mm.  I shoot indoors, (make shift home studio), outdoors, plants and wildlife, also sports (two kids) probable grandchildren in a couple of years.

I am 47 years old and I want to upgrade one more time.  Probable be the last camera I buy. SO, What do you'll recommend.  The T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, ?????

Thanks, DAVY

13 REPLIES 13

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

As a former T1i owner, I can tell you that the T2i was a big jump.  The resolution improved slightly, but mostly the ISO performance improved.  But with the T3i, T4i, and T5i the difference in sensor performance has been negligible.  One would probably not actually "notice" the difference without doing careful scientific analysis.

The biggest differences between the T2i, T3i, T4i, and T5i are all body features -- not differences in image.  The T4i introduced a focus system which looks just like the focus system on your T1i... except that on your T1i only the center AF point is a "cross type" point (performs phase-detect focus in two axes simultaneously) and the remaining 8 points are single axis only.  But on the T4i (and T5i) _all_ 9 AF points are cross-type points.  These are more accurate and are difficult to trick into missing the focus.  Also the LCD screen on the back of the T4i and T5i is a touch-screen.

So if you "broke" your T1i and needed to repace it, I'd just get a T5i.

But the key here is that you haven't broken your T1i.  You're looking to upgrade.  And apart from the ISO performance boost, you wont notice much else.

The 7D is getting old in the tooth and due for replacement.  Rumors speculate but the latest rumors suspect it's probably still a year away (those who actually "know" aren't talking.)

The 70D, on the other hand, is quite a jump.  It has all the ISO performance of the rest of the cameras, it's a mid-level body (the Rebel series are entry-level bodies), and it's only 1 single frame per second slower than the 7D when shooting in continuous burst mode (for sports).  But it does have this new dual-pixel AF on the sensor which allows the camera to perofmr on-sensor auto-focus continuously while shooting video and it's much more accurate than the contrast detection auto-focus systems of previous generations.  For video... it's a huge step up.

As a mid-level body, it gets a degree of weather-sealing (not weather-proof and you should definitely not submerge it in water) and it has two control dials (rebel bodies only have one).  The second dial (as with all "pro" bodies) is on the back positioned nicely for use by your thumb while the front dial is near the shutter positioned nice for your shutter-finger.  This allows you to adjust both shutter and aperture silmultaneously when shooting manual and when shooting in any of the semi-auto modes (Av, Tv, or P) the second dial serves as an exposure compensation dial.

It also has a top-LCD screen which several extra buttons along the display for instant access to commonly used functions that a Rebel body normally requires longer to set.

The biggest dramatic difference, however, is the 6D (and up... such as the 5D III and 1D X but those are extremely expensive bodies).  The 6D has a massive boost in ISO performance.  You can shoot, for example, at ISO 6400 and not really worry about it.  On a Rebel body I try to keep it ISO 800 or lower and begrudingly move up to ISO 1600... but pretty much refuse to go any higher.)  Sure you'll have some noise at ISO 6400... but it's actually fairly low.

Both the 6D and 70D are WiFi equipped (and the 6D is also GPS equipped) and can be remotely controlled (Canon offers a free smart-phone app).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim for spending the time, for all that info.

Ya'll have gave me a lot of great choices and direction I can go.

On a lighter note.

As most of you have already detected, I must admit...

I am a guy.

I am married.

I am trying to talk her into letting me spend more money on my hobby.

Thanks for the info, I can now baffle her with all this knowledge in hopes of convincing her that I know what I am talking about.

The way I see it, I can either,

1 Stick with my T1i and up grade to the L series lenses. Now that I know that lens quality will boast my performance.  And see how long the T1i last before I go to a better body.

2 Up grade to the T3i $499.00 or T5i $749.00 and see where that gets me with the sub-par lens I have. Let her use the T1i as my side kick. (good selling point)

3 Dive into the 70d $1,199.00 or 6d $1,620.00 or 5d lll $1,800.00  but will be a while before I can get a good lens for it.  But I can still use the, good selling point card.

Thanks again

DAVY

Everything sounded good until you got to the price tag on the 5D III.  The 5D III (body only) is $3500 list.  You can often find it *slightly* cheaper... but not much.  There was a time when they were just barely under $3k  (e.g. $2900) as there was a mass of 5D II owners upgrading and I think a lot of shops were competing to win those customers.  But those days seem to be over.  

There are some scam shots that will advertise the body for less... and there are plenty of threads about these places on the net.  The saying holds "if it sounds too good to be true... it probably is."

You would definitely want to make sure you're buying a body imported for sale in North America (because if you buy a gray-market body it not only has no warranty... it's not even serviceable if you're willing to pay for the service.  Last I heard, Canon North America wont touch it (unless they've changed that policy.))  Canon does post a list of their authorized dealers at their website if you want to make sure you're not being scammed.

The 5D III body is probably over-kill for most people.  It has some amazing capability but it is more of a pro body.  The 6D, on the other hand, has *fractionally* better sensor performance and nearly the same sensor resolution.  It's a fantastic full-frame body and it has some capabilities (WiFi & GPS) that the 5D III doesn't have.  The 5D III has a phenominal focusing system, better perofrmance, a more durable body, a better video system, and can auto-focus down to f/8... but these are things most non-pro shooters probably don't "need" (but gosh they sure are nice!)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Your right Tim, I was looking at a used 5D iii.  on Amazon.  That's why I usually buy from Amazon, it's fairly safe, and have reviews on the sellers.  But, like everything, probable not 100% full proof. Thanks for the heads up on the scammers.

I am impressed and a little jealous on all of ya'lls knowledge of all these cameras and lenses and photography in general. But it's probable your passion or  trade and livelihood.  I'm heating and air by trade and I probable could dazzle you with big words and formulas. LOL  Anyway thanks for sharing.

Thanks DAVY

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements