cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from EOS 6D - R6 or R6 ii

bavss
Apprentice

Hey everyone, I'm currently using a Canon 6D along with some L lenses, mainly for landscape photography as a hobby. I'm not really into shooting videos.

While I am still happy with my 6D's results, it's been with me for a while now, and I'm ready to explore something new. I'm considering upgrading to either the Canon R6 or R6 Mark II, but I'm unsure if the Mark II is worth the higher price tag, especially since it's almost double the price, even if bought used from MPB.

My main priorities are dynamic range and sharpness, as I can adjust colours during post-processing. I'm not sure about my megapixel requirements, to be honest, since I've never owned a camera with more than 20.2 megapixels.

I'm also curious if making the switch to the new mirrorless R6 or R6 Mark II would bring a significant improvement over my seasoned humble 6D.

Any insights or advice would be appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

By "significant improvement", that will all depend on what you mean.  For image quality alone, I wouldn't say "significant".  But for the overall improved feature set, a bit more resolution (if going with the Mark II), a bit better ISO performance, and having things like dual card slots, a viewfinder with 100% coverage (instead of 97% coverage) and a much better flash sync speed, the overall improvements would be signficant.

If you can swing the extra budget, I would definitely lean towards the EOS R6 Mark II.  As of this writing, both have very attractive prices (at least at B&H Photo):

• EOS R6 (body only): $1,800 (normally $2,300)
  • EOS R6 II (body only): $2,300 (normally $2,500)
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements