cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D Some files disappeared off SD card

GlacialImpala
Contributor

My situation is almost exactly the same as in this person's case - photos disappeared after sticking the SD card into my PC USB card reader.

I reviewed all of those photos on Canon 70D (card is Samsung PRO, lightly used since I don't shoot often) before they disappeared so I know they were really recorded - I zoomed in each one to see if it is sharp enough.The other way I know is CTG file shows as modified right when the last photo was taken.

I tried what that member tried but for me none of the programs found anything suspicious or corrupted - just my old deleted photos (a TON, some 6 years old) and existing ones - no odd suspicious files too big for their type.

I tried Klenner Carver, Recuva, R-Photo, 4DDiG, Wondershare Recoverit. At this point I'd be asking myself if I dreamed taking those photos but CTG file at least shows they were real...

After all that I shot one additional photo to see how it behaves and after many card readings it's still there, like it should be.

I would at least like to know why only one group of photos was targeted by this erasure - Out of 1100+ photos only those 31 disappeared that were shot together.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the Canon Forums!

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your gear.  Tell us about the memory card that you are using.  Is it a full size card or micro-SD card?  What brand?  What is the storage capacity?  

Where did you buy it?  Have you used this memory card in other devices besides your camera and a card reader attached to your computer?

Six years is a pretty long time.  The best practice is not to use memory cards for permanent or long term storage.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for welcoming me.

Like I said, Samsung PRO which is full size, 32Gb, apart from plugging into PC card reader not used in other devices. I don't remember where the purchase was. I am fairly certain it's not about the card because only one round of photos is in question and everything else is in pristine condition, including deleted photos - they are available for recovery through all of listed programs. New photos taken after the incident behave well too. I just can't figure out what kung-fu I managed to do to cause this, clearly it is my fault but no trace of any kind apart from CTG is mind boggling to a lay person.

@GlacialImpala wrote:

Thank you for welcoming me.

Like I said, Samsung PRO which is full size, 32Gb, apart from plugging into PC card reader not used in other devices. I don't remember where the purchase was. I am fairly certain it's not about the card because only one round of photos is in question and everything else is in pristine condition, including deleted photos - they are available for recovery through all of listed programs. New photos taken after the incident behave well too. I just can't figure out what kung-fu I managed to do to cause this, clearly it is my fault but no trace of any kind apart from CTG is mind boggling to a lay person.

It is next to impossible to say what happened.  Not formatting memory cards prior to first use is a recipe for lost images.

Deleting photos from the memory card while it is in the camera is usually a recipe for something bad to happen.  You can usually delete the last photo you captured without issue.  I’ve never had a problem.  But deleting images “from the middle of the deck” is begging for trouble.

I’d say it is time to retire this memory card and replace it.  I recommend only buying memory cards from Canon Factory Authorized Dealers.  I use B&H Photo Video.  The Amazon marketplace, and similar sites like Best Buy and Walmart, are not a good place to shop for electronic accessories like memory cards and batteries.  

You add almost all camera gear to that warning.  Here’s the problem.  You can place an order with Amazon, who is an authorized dealer.  However, if your selected vendor is out of stock, then they will ship your item from another vendor without telling you.  Actually, they do tell you.  It is in the agreement we all have to accept when you register an account to login and shop.

I do not know if that substitution policy applies to Canon.  I know it can happen with other items available on the Amazon Marketplace.  I would not think it applies to companies that have their own exclusive shopping aisle, though.  I would hope that is the point of the exclude shopping aisle.

It sounds like this experience can be one you can learn from.  Good Luck!

I don't know where you got the info about formatting or me deleting photos 'from the middle of the deck', I never said I did those things. I give up on this way of solving the issue.

@GlacialImpala wrote:

I don't know where you got the info about formatting or me deleting photos 'from the middle of the deck', I never said I did those things. I give up on this way of solving the issue.

“ I just can't figure out what kung-fu I managed to do to cause this, clearly it is my fault but no trace of any kind apart from CTG is mind boggling to a lay person. “

I never said you did any of those things.  My mistake.  I simply offered a number of actions that can directly lead to problems with memory cards.

Announcements