cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 STUCK IN VIDEO MODE

coolerator
Contributor

I don't know how this happened, but this morning I accidentally set my R5 into video mode and have spent HOURS in the manual and on websites trying to figure out  how to switch back to picture mode. My camera is in the A+ mode (Scene Intelligent Auto) and it is absolutely stuck in the video mode. My R5 has been updated with the latest firmware sent a few months ago. Can anyone help me switch from video to picture mode?

19 REPLIES 19

rs-eos
Elite

See page 81 of the User Manual.  To switch between shooting still photos and recording modes, press the <MODE> button and then the <INFO> button.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

coolerator
Contributor

I already did see what you recommended on page 81 and tried it. When I click on <MODE> and then <INFO> it shows the standard settings of A+, Tv, Av, etc in buttons with the message "REC: Movie rec. in A+ rec. qual" below the buttons. If I click <INFO> again it shows a similar set of buttons (A+, Tv, Av...) but each one has a video camera in the background. Continuing to click on <INFO> - either on the screen, or the physical INFO button next to the screen it simply switches back and forth between these two views without any method of switching back to picture mode.

Perhaps look at resetting the camera back to factory defaults.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

coolerator
Contributor

Setting camera back to defaults is another problem. Since I am using the absolutely latest firmware update it no longer matches many of the items in the manual or found on the websites. For example, the manual says to reset, go to the image that looks like a wrench and select "Reset camera" on display #5. In the latest firmware that I am using, it is not there and I have searched all over but have not been able to find this reset function. Canon will not provide any information about how to work with these updates. My camera has been stuck in video mode all day - accidentally somehow - and I cannot find any way of fixing it.

You can't reset in A+ mode, you need to switch to a "creative" mode, like M or P.

Thanks, but the reason I am asking this question is that I was in A+ mode and somehow it it did accidentally switch to movie mode and now I cannot find any way of getting it back to picture mode. My next question is if A+ mode can switch methods but never reset to previous, what is the reason for this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't be in A+ mode to reset the camera, it won't appear in the menu. You need to be in P or M or Av or Tv modes to gain access to the menu to reset the camera to defaults.

I just spent nearly an hour with a technician at Canon and he suggested many other attempts to fix this issue but none of them worked. He said I will have to send the camera in for repair.

p.s. In A+ mode I was able to accidentally switch (did not know how it happened) to VIDEO mode, but absolutely nothing switches it back to PICTURE mode. I did follow all testing procedures,  including resetting the camera to defaults, but nothing works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is it that you are seeing that indicates to you that you are in video mode? Can you upload a picture of your camera's screen showing video mode?

Announcements