cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the R7 as a second camera the right choice for an amateur like me?

minny
Apprentice

Upon getting back into photography, I probably went a little overboard on the gear and got myself an R6 mark II with several really nice lenses. I enjoy most of it, but there was a couple unnecessary purchases for sure. While I’ll take all kinds of photographs from portraits to landscapes to cars to macros or anything in between, at least half of the time I find myself shooting wildlife. Birds being a significant portion of that. While I have plenty of good shots, I do find myself wishing I had the extra reach of a crop sensor. Plus, if I’m not mistaken, the R7 has a higher pixel density which would allow for more cropping. These little birds sometimes require heavy cropping and you end up needing all the pixels you can get.

I love my R6mii and I’m in no way looking to get rid of it. Half the time I’m using it, it’s the perfect camera for me. It’s just in the wildlife situations I find myself looking for more out of it. At the same time I’m really not wanting to spend more than I have to. I have the money, but I don’t want to spend it just because I have it. Should I suck it up and stick with what I have or would I find myself appreciating the dedicated wildlife camera?

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, minny!

Since a big part of wildlife photography depends on it, please let us know what lenses you're using and the Community may be able to advise you on whether to add to your arsenal or how to make the most of what you've already got.

We look forward to your reply!

boreynolds
Apprentice

DON'T DO IT! You will be highly disappointed because you won't find any DECENT lenses! THE CRIPPLE HAMMER STRIKES AGAIN! You're all set for full frame like your r6 but those of us who own crop sensor have ALWAYS been disappointed by Canon. WHY do they even MAKE crop sensor cameras? If you want ANYTHING thats decent you'll have to get EF lenses

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I have the R6 Mk ll and love it.  My second camera is an R8, but that was simply to be converted to infrared.  If I had to choose a backup AND I wanted further reach, the R7 would have been my first pick.  

I would ignore the comment on this thread about Canon crop sensor owners being disappointed.  I've owned three different crop sensor cameras over the years (two different 60D's - one converted to infrared... and an 80D), and thought they were great.  I used plenty of the full frame lenses on the crop sensor without any problems at all.  I also had some lenses that were crop sensor only.  Never had any quality problems with those either.  I'm not sure why someone is saying you need EF lenses because that's not true.  Any RF lens will work on both the R6m2 and the R7.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I do find myself wishing I had the extra reach of a crop sensor."

This is a hotly debated question. Is it better to have a crop sensor with its apparently better advantage on the tele end or is it better to simply crop FF to the same proportions. The truthful and proper answer is yes and no. I certainly would not buy an R7 simply on the hope that you will see better tele photos. However, as a backup camera it can make sense. When I was active in my business I used four or five Rebels routinely along with my 1 Series cameras. Worked beautifully together.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  you won't find any DECENT lenses!"

That is simply nonsense and you know it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements