cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus issues with canon eos rebel during street action photo shoots? Why are my pictures blurry?

iris
Enthusiast

In situations on a tripod or in most other situations my camera and lenses seem to focus well. In stable situations where the subject is not doing much, I just rotate the dial around to the focal point that I want the camera to focus on and my pictures usually turn out well,   but I have found that I love street photography and capturing people doing things. Sometimes they are moving toward or away from me. ..I uses a wide angle F2.8 lens and usualy have no worries about keeping the shutter speed higher than the focal length... I keep the camera on auto focus and AWB....So why are so many of my photos soft focus....I don't have time on every shot to raise the camera and rotate the dial to focus on a particular point so I usually leave it a center focus...What do I need to do to get my shots in focus without looking through the view finder on every shot ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Note that "AI Servo" focus has difference from "One Shot" focus mode with respect to what it does when you press the shutter button.

In "One Shot" mode, the camera uses "Focus Priority".  This means the camera will NOT take a shot if the lens is in auto-focus mode UNTIL it can confirm that it was able to achieve focus on your selected AF point (or on one AF point if you allow it to auto-select the AF point.)  In short:  achieving focus is more important than taking the shot at the exact moment you press the button.  Hence "focus priority"

In "AI Servo" mode, the camera uses "Release Priority".  This means that when you completely press the shutter button, the camera WILL take the shot immediately and it will do this whether it has had enough time to achieve focus... or not.    In short: capturing the shot at the exact moment you press the shutter button is more important than achieving focus.   Hence "release priority."

If you quickly press the shutter button to get a shot, the camera is going to shoot first and worry about focus later.  You've got to half-press the shutter to let the camera achieve focus before you fully-press the button.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

I wasn't aware of the information you've just revealed to me..I thought that once you selected a setting your camera did the rest and you didn't neet to worry...I don't see an issue with one shot...usually I and or the subject are still....but certainly focus in Al Servo mode is going to take some prior test shots for the depth of field I am going to concentrate on....and as several have said a lot of practice. I think you have hit upon my problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

cicopo
Elite

Are you using AI SERVO to run the AF system? That's the mode for moving targets. Also note that things moving in front of the camera don't follow the 1 over FL rule. That rule is to prevent camera shake affecting the photo. You need to find fast enough shutter speeds to freeze the action, which varies by what is in motion. People move slower than cars & aircraft move even faster. Shutter speeds need to match the situation for the desired result.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yes, I set to al servo and burst mode...One thing I have noticed on the little rebel 9 dot diamond focus matrix is that the spread of places to choose to focus on is quite spaced out...do I have the right idea to use the center focal point or should I light up all of them? It seems like I tried it both ways and my results didn't seem to be much better either way...

I have studied several of my photos and you are right about one thing: the lens I was using was 17-55 focal length and I pay attention to how much faster my shutter speed was so at least one of the shots I really wanted was at 1/60th and your right..to stop action I should have been up to 125 at least...Perhaps I should set the shutter speed and let the camera choose the aperture...but that sounds problematic too.

Not sure on that because I haven't owned any of the Rebel series but I'd try it both ways, use Tv mode & a shutter speed fast enough to freeze what ever type of action you're shooting. If it's people in motion start at 1/500 & work up or down as needed. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I hope that someone who does use this camera will tell me what they may have learned about using the rebel focus sytem. What do you do to make your canon act more like point and shoot...sorry I know that seems like downgrading the funcitonality of the camera...but this little camera is versatile enough to do it all if I can just master it's functions. I'm sure of it because I see other using it that way,,,but how? 

Try Sport Mode. I shoot action with top of the line gear & have learned how to use it by taking a photography course a long time ago, practicing, learning from others through forums etc.  

Yes.  I have done all that you have suggested..I think practice is the key.. I notice that I have the most difficulty in street photography with focal length, especially when using my wide angle lens...if subjects are moveing  in a close space or distance from me...I think i must have a really high shutter speed to stop fuzzyness.  I think also that the fact that frequently I am moving toward the subject att the same time they are moving toward me is a double whammy on focus...perhaps I should try to stop even every so abruptly?...I'm know nothing of the dynamics of focus involved if both the shooter and the subject are moving?

Note that "AI Servo" focus has difference from "One Shot" focus mode with respect to what it does when you press the shutter button.

In "One Shot" mode, the camera uses "Focus Priority".  This means the camera will NOT take a shot if the lens is in auto-focus mode UNTIL it can confirm that it was able to achieve focus on your selected AF point (or on one AF point if you allow it to auto-select the AF point.)  In short:  achieving focus is more important than taking the shot at the exact moment you press the button.  Hence "focus priority"

In "AI Servo" mode, the camera uses "Release Priority".  This means that when you completely press the shutter button, the camera WILL take the shot immediately and it will do this whether it has had enough time to achieve focus... or not.    In short: capturing the shot at the exact moment you press the shutter button is more important than achieving focus.   Hence "release priority."

If you quickly press the shutter button to get a shot, the camera is going to shoot first and worry about focus later.  You've got to half-press the shutter to let the camera achieve focus before you fully-press the button.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I wasn't aware of the information you've just revealed to me..I thought that once you selected a setting your camera did the rest and you didn't neet to worry...I don't see an issue with one shot...usually I and or the subject are still....but certainly focus in Al Servo mode is going to take some prior test shots for the depth of field I am going to concentrate on....and as several have said a lot of practice. I think you have hit upon my problem.
Announcements