cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus bracketing - Could have been much more simple?

TomAtkinson
Apprentice

On my EOS R6, to take a photo with focus bracketing, it is necessary to guess a couple of settings, then use trial and error by taking several photo sequences to check if the focus is correct throughout the desired depth of field.

I have to guess the number of shots to take, also the "focus increment" that will be used for each shift of the focus.

So, the steps are: guess the values, take the photo sequence (which could be several dozen photos), then examine the final photo (and several intermediates) for focal accuracy.  If the sequence is not smooth, and/or contains too many or too few photos, then repeat the process with different guesses.

That's quite a lot of fiddling around.  I wonder if the process could have been much simpler.

When about to initiate a focus bracketing sequence, the camera knows the f stop that has been set, and also where the focus is - thus knowing the depth of field for each individual shot in the sequence.  Knowing those things, surely it could work out, for itself, how many shots are required, and also the "focus increment" that is necessary to obtain a smooth sequence.

The only thing I should have to tell it is the (approximate) depth of field that I want to achieve.  Why does it not work this way?

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There is only much the camera can do. It is not omnipotent.  It does not what it is you are trying to photograph. Focus bracketing could be used on the eyeballs of a spider to a landscape shot of the Grand Canyon.  You must tell it what to do.  There will be some trial and error.  

The benefit comes from having  to repeat similar shots.  For example, taking photos is 20 different watches.   Set the camera up for the first watch and the rest are downhill.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements