cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL3 as webcam to livestream board meetings - camera zoom / magnification possible?

GoBlue97
Apprentice

Hello - I'm thinking of purchasing a Canon EOS Rebel SL3 with a EF-S 18-55mm Lens kit, using it as a webcam via the Canon Webcam utility/OBS for livestreaming in 1080p60.

This will primarily be used to livestream board meetings to YouTube. Above the conference room table is a 55 inch television (about 10-15 feet away) - when in webcam mode, is it possible to use the zoom/lens on the camera to zoom into the content being displayed on the TV about 10-15 feet away? I presume this will work with the EF-S 18-55mm Lens kit, but I'm by no means a camera pro so I'm not sure if the image focusing capabilities will work in this webcam mode. Obviously the ideal solution is to use the HDMI source to mux in the video to OBS from the computer displaying the content on the TV, but this is for journalism/live reporting, and I will not have access to that computer.

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Not automatically.   Even if you're using equipment with a servo lens, you'd still need to manually control the zoom of the lens; perhaps with a remote.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements