cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 120 fps video plays back at 29 fps, why?

Natechenry
Enthusiast

 Shooting 120 fps on my canon eos r 10 but when i look at the video on the r10 it says 29 fps, why?

IMG_9029.jpeg

IMG_9030.jpeg

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

120 fps will not play back at that speed.  It was designed for slow motion work.  You typically take your high frame rate footage, put it in an appropriate timeline (e.g. 30fps for 25% speed playback, 24 fps for 20% speed playback, etc).

The camera is just marking the framerate in the container to some default value.

Note: I'm rounding the frame rates here.  For your camera, it would be things like 23.976, 29.97, 59.94 and 119.88

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

So this is normal that the playback shows 29 fps? Because when I dropped this footage in thinking it was at 120 fps in davinci on a 24 fps timeline i did change the % to 20% and the footage was oddly choppy. I guess it was already interpreted. 

It shouldn’t be choppy. Unless your computer is struggling perhaps decoding the footage? The video should have ended up with all the frames. Just ignore the 29.97. If you want 20% speed playback, drop it in a 23.976 fps timeline.  That should be all you need to do.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

SOLVED/EDIT - I did some testing with the camera. It turns out what the camera gives you is an already slow motion version of the video in 30fps. In my test I shot for 10 seconds, and the video file is a 40 second 30fps file (rather than a 10 second 120fps file). The reason I didn't notice this is because I was filming birds and apparently when they were flapping their wings quickly I did not recognize it has 120fps because it was still so fast. 

-----

I have the same issue that I can't seem to solve. When I shoot 120FPS on my R7, when I put it on my computer, right click the file and go to details, the details show that the frame rate is 29.97 fps. When I take that footage into my video editing software, it also shows 29.97. Then in my timeline when I go to slow it down by 25% it is choppy - i.e. the file was not 120fps. The 120fps video is not saving to my memory card with 120fps data, so in my timeline it is choppy because I slowed 30fps down by 25%, not 120fps down by 25%. 

In videos I see online, when people edit slow-mo video, their video files are 120fps when dropped into the video editing software.

Announcements