cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Display becomes "black" when NOT used under direct sun light

mrstevejobs
Apprentice

I have a pretty weird issue.

At first, I thought the display was broken. But suddenly I noticed that if I positioned myself with direct sun behind me, hitting directly at the LCD display, then I was able to see the display. Very dimmed and with a very low brightness, but it was fully functional. 

As long as I put something stopping the sun from hitting the LCD, the display becomes completely "black". In other words. It seems that the more light the LCD receives, the more I can see the screen and the "brightness" it becomes. 

It's kind of the opposite as it would normally happen!

It is just not possible to use the screen this way.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Did the screen just get messed up somehow? Some cable connection, perhaps?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

March411
Rising Star

Have you gone into the menu and tried brightening the display?

Untitled-1.jpg

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

mrstevejobs
Apprentice

Yes. Its at its maximum. 
Still black when the sun doesn't hit it 

Are you wearing polarized sunglasses when you notice this? Try rotating the camera 90° and see if it changes anything.

Are you using a polarizing filter on the lens or do you have a screen protector on the LCD? Does it happen when using Live View and/or when previewing images or menu screens?

It's possible of course that the LEDs that backlight the LCD screen have failed or there is a bad connection in the circuit that supplies power to them.

Are you wearing polarized sunglasses when you notice this? 

Definitely not 🤣
But I'll try the rotation when I get home, although I don't think it's a case of polarization.+

@BurnUnit wrote:

Are you using a polarizing filter on the lens or do you have a screen protector on the LCD?

Nope.

@BurnUnit wrote:

Does it happen when using Live View and/or when previewing images or menu screens?

All the time. 

Announcements