cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 700D Live view not working

JessicaC
Apprentice

I just bought a used Canon eos 700d and when switching the exposure settings like ISO, aperture and shutter speed in Manual mode, I cant see a difference in the screen. So basically when I take a photo it ends up looking completely different from what it looks like on the screen. I have live view mode enabled in the settings so I dont nnow if something is broken or if I am doing something wrong? help would be much appreciated ❤️

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Are you referring to Exposure Simulation. If Auto ISO is used then Exposure Simulation won't be used unless the exposure is way off. Also depending on the ambient lighting Exposure Simulation MAY NOT be available. How does the picture look completely different? The lens is wide open during Exposure Simulation so its normal for the background to be blurred. That's why the camera has a depth of field preview button to stop down the lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forums!

It is a best practice to fully reset a used camera when you first get it.  You want the camera settings to be in a known state, not whatever changes made by a previous owner.

Have you tested the camera with the top dial set to Intelligent Auto, the Green[A} mode?  Testing the camera in the Basic Auto mode takes whatever custom settings have been made off the table.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Are you referring to Exposure Simulation. If Auto ISO is used then Exposure Simulation won't be used unless the exposure is way off. Also depending on the ambient lighting Exposure Simulation MAY NOT be available. How does the picture look completely different? The lens is wide open during Exposure Simulation so its normal for the background to be blurred. That's why the camera has a depth of field preview button to stop down the lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Yes exposure simulation is what I was refferring to. Thanks for the infromation it makes more sence now. And I meant that when taking a picture it would turn out a lot darker/ lighter than displayed on the screen. I will try again omce I get my batteries charged, Thanks!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forums!

It is a best practice to fully reset a used camera when you first get it.  You want the camera settings to be in a known state, not whatever changes made by a previous owner.

Have you tested the camera with the top dial set to Intelligent Auto, the Green[A} mode?  Testing the camera in the Basic Auto mode takes whatever custom settings have been made off the table.

Oh yesh resetting the camera is a good idea actually, I will do it once my charger arrives and I get to charge it up. thank you (:

@JessicaC wrote:

Oh yesh resetting the camera is a good idea actually, I will do it once my charger arrives and I get to charge it up. thank you (:

Unfortunately, a “full reset” is not straightforward.  It requires resetting multiple menus.

You would need to turn the top dial to “P” mode.  Go though every menu item looking for a “Reset” option.  When you find one, use it to reset that menu option.  

You will encounter at least a half dozen settings that have sub-menus with their own reset options.  This task will take about 10-15 minutes to complete.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements