cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D MK III - Upgrade Thoughts

tartik
Apprentice

Hey there,

I currently own a 80D and want to upgrade to a 5D Mark III with a full sensor, because I get to the limits of shooting in darker places.

2 days ago I photographed a show (Poledance Sports) from a medium distance with my Canon 70-200L F2.8 with IS. The shutter just couldn’t handle some dark parts where there was almost no light. Obviously I don’t use flash because of 300 guests.

As far as good. I’m thinking of upgrading to a used 5D Mark III and getting a Canon 24-70L F2.8 to replace my crappy Sigma 17-50 F2.8.

Bigger sensor = more light and better camera performance I would guess then.

The other point being: The 5DMKIII and 24-70L is about the same price as a 5DMKIV. So is the upgrade here so much of a game changer?

Any other ideas towards another body/lens welcome.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The 5D3 was a great camera in it's day, but it's 11 years old now. I'm not sure Its a wise investment at this point in time.  I think a 5D4 at minimum would be a better way to go. As far as a professional full frame camera goes, it doesn't get much better than that unless you go to a 1D series.

I understand all of the reasons going from APS-C to full frame.  I owned a sigma 17-70 f2.8 when I had a T6s.  However, it sounds like our experiences were a bit different.  I absolutely loved mine.  It out performed the 17-50 in focus and clarity, but in light gathering capability they were similarly matched. 

If you're going to go with a 5D series, I suggest you get the mkIV at minimum.  It will definitely be a step up from where you are now and will assuredly offer better low light capability over the 80D.

Shooting through low light from a distance on an illuminated subject can challenge any camera and lens.     

Do you have a budget for this purchase, and if so what is it?

Here is a no flash, handheld shot with the T6s and Sigma 17-70.  

37mm, 1/13, f4.5, ISO 6400 

Paris Catacombs handheldParis Catacombs handheld

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would be very surprised if simply going from an 80D to a 5D Mk III fixed your low light problems. But, of course I don't know your standards and requirements. Going to the 5D Mk IV could bring some better help. People that believe a FF sensor will answer all their low light issues probably read too many articles on the ole inner web. Repeating I don't know exactly what you are after. Keep in mind high ISO is still high ISO. Actually going from an 80D to a 5D3 might be a step backwards.

"The shutter just couldn’t handle some dark parts where there was almost no light."

Remember all photographic gear has its limits. This may be a case where you have found one. Besides a more current camera, not a 5 series, and a very fast lens and perhaps a monopod or tripod could be the answer.

I did a shoot a long time ago of one of these events and was trying to find some photos to show but I could not. Anyway, as I recall there is always sufficient light on the performer to allow good exposure. You are exposing for her not the dark surroundings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ernie ,

Yours is definitely a good point.  I left that out of my initial response because I wanted to see what the overall budget for this endeavor was.  A 5D4 will improve but as you said not guarantee a stellar outcome even with a f2.8 lens.  

His particular venue had 300 guess so he must have been shooting from quite a distance, probably through darkness at an illuminated or spot lit subject? (Guessing). This is also why I recommended the 5D4 as a minimum consideration.  

The get up and go rock your shot invitation that Chris Canada just posted might be helpful to attend and watch. It may offer some practical tips.  

I was hoping to get a bit more feedback and make some recommendations accordingly.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements