cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 50D stops taking pictures

tdpilot
Contributor

My EOS 50D stops taking pictures after 4-5 shots.  It seems like the lens stops communicating with the camera.  I can remove the lens, reinstall it, and the same problem persists.  I have cleaned the contacts, no change.  I am using the Canon ES 5, 55-250 zoom.  

21 REPLIES 21

@tdpilot wrote:

Thank You!   I hadn't thought of that.  Will do and let you know.  I am also checking all my bateries, and trying it without the big external battery pack that I have always used.  

Lee Taylor 

Is that really an "external battery pack", or is it really a battery grip?

Make sure your grip is fully tightened.  If you are still having problems remove the grip, and test the camera again.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Didn't see this response until just now, but it is a big two-battery grip.  I am getting new batteries, and will let you know how it all works out.  I really don't see the need for the big grip any more, but will still check and see if the new batteries fix the problem, and/or if it is a problem with the grip.  Since I have always used the grip, ------but I really think right now that you hit the nail on the head earlier with the comments about "a battery problem".    Also have paid close attention to your disgust with non-Canon grips also.  -----I think the thing that made me use it to begin with was that the big grip was quite comfortable, and I liked the extra shutter button on it.  Plus it was "impressive"./  I mean, we use really exotic cameras like this, not because they are actually needed, but also that they are impressive.  

In my work in aerial shots, being bigger and heavier IS NOT an advantage.   The basic camera and a decent lens, which I do have, is best.  I will forget all the rest in the future.  

Wouldn't have thought the grip was that much of a big deal, but now I find there are several different considerations.  First there is a selector that I didn't even know existed,  OFF,  Ch1, Ch 2, AND a separate ON-OFF switch.  Two on-off switches on the same grip????  Plus a third one on the camera itself??  Great way to get everyting fouled up, with no real input except intelligence as to what might be wrong.  And I obviously didn't have that when  I was originally having the problem.   At the same time, the camera became much less important in light of everything else that was going on at the time.  I just quit using it.    Until now.  

Announcements