cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d changing to RAW without main dial

Aspargo
Apprentice
So I bought a used 6D today. In good working order, did a quick inspection before purchasing it. When I went to fiddle around with it later I noticed the main dial near the shutter doesn't work. I have tried various things to fix it (hard restart, lock is not on, changed custom settings). It's not so bad, except the previous owner had the image quality set to JPEG only, and I would like to only shoot in RAW. So, two questions:
1. Any other suggestions to fix the dial?
2. Any way to switch to RAW without using the main dial?

Please help, I am shooting a wedding in two days and am hesitant to use this body if it can only shoot JPEG.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello Aspargo, 

There is a setting within the camera that can actually lock the main dial.  Go into the Menu, under the Custom Function Settings and look for C.Fn III-3 Multi-function Lock.  You want to look through this sub-menu and make sure that there isn't a checkmark next to the main dial icon.  If there's a checkmark there, the function will be locked and you will see 'L' in the viewfinder and LCD panel.  

You can use the feature in camera called Custom Controls to assign functions to different buttons.  It's in the Menu, under the Custom Controls section.  It's under the C.Fn III sub-heading, Operation/ Others.  Inside this menu you can map the image quality setting to a different button, versus going through the menu.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Aspargo
Apprentice
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your suggestions. I did try to change the function of the dial and it still isn't responding. I also made sure it was unchecked.

I changed the function of one of the buttons to take me to the image quality screen but once I'm in that screen, I can't toggle to RAW because that row of options apparently is only controlled by the shutter dial. I can switch between different JPEG formats no problem with the back dial. Is there another step you would suggest?

Aspargo
Apprentice
Update: turns out just adjusting the image quality within the quick display screen with the back dial toggles it to raw 🤦

Still stuck on why the main dial isn't working though.

@Aspargo wrote:
Update: turns out just adjusting the image quality within the quick display screen with the back dial toggles it to raw 🤦

Still stuck on why the main dial isn't working though.

Whenever you buy a used camera is advisable to reset the camera back to factory defaults, a known state.  In order to completely reset the camera, you must perform a reset in more than one location in the menus.

• “Clear All Camera Settings” - Located in the 4th “Wrench” menu
  • ”Clear All Custom Functions” - Located in the Custom Functions Menu\
  • ”Default Settings” - Clears all custom button programming is in the C.Fn.III-5 menu.

Try resetting all of these settings.  Hope this help.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements