cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX Mark III question: Have menus changed?

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

I bought a used 1DX Mark III from a reputable reseller (KEH, whom I've had excellent experiences with). As soon as it arrived, I sat down with some well-regarded YouTube tutorials to start learning about the camera. I was a bit surprised and disappointed to see that the unit I got did not have the option for mechanical vs. electronic shutter in the SHOOT4 menu, as seen in the Canon manual and also in quite a few YouTube reviews. I updated the firmware from 1.1.0 up to the current 1.7.0, but nothing changed.

Thinking that the camera might have been faulty, I sent the unit back to KEH and bought a used Mark III from B&H instead. That just arrived today, and still, that SHOOT4 menu is only showing 3 items rather than the 5 items as seen in Canon's documentation.

Does anybody have any insight into this? I've looked all over the Internet, but every hit just seems to show Canon's documentation, which shows the menu as having 5 items. Has Canon changed the menu since the documentation was issued? One reputable YouTube host did tell me this: "I've heard from someone else - but not officially confirmed - that some shutter options were removed from a certain firmware upwards. I can't confirm that though without seeing one."

I will say that the camera from KEH came to me with firmware 1.1.0, which I updated to 1.6.0 and then 1.7.0 with no changes to the SHOOT4 menu. The camera from B&H came with 1.6.0, and I spent some time on a video chat with a fellow at B&H and I stumped him. No matter what he suggested and what I tried, the menu would not change.

Thanks in advance to anyone who give me any further information on this.

300D, 20D, 7D Mk II, 1DX Mk III, a few decent lenses, and plenty of questions
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your best bet is the Advanced User Manual, not YouTube videos.

Electronic shutter is only available in LiveView:

Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

I'm just grabbing at straws here, but certain menus will display different options depending on what shooting mode the camera is set to. Try switching between Auto, Program, Manual, Av and Tv modes and see if it makes any difference.

Hi there! Thanks for that, but I did try everything; switched between modes, changed drive to every possible configuration, etc. Even a full factory reset. That blasted menu just stays the same regardless.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your best bet is the Advanced User Manual, not YouTube videos.

Electronic shutter is only available in LiveView:

Untitled.jpg

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

D'oh!!! 🙄

That was the one mode I didn't try, and bingo. Thank you SO much for that!

For the record, I do have the Advanced User Manual, and I have referred to it quite a bit, but since it's nearly 1000 pages, I figured that YouTube was a good resource to start, as it was for my 7D.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Get the PDF one.

There is no index, but I searched for "Electronic" which showed me the Shutter mode page in the Live View section, but no equivalent in the mecahnical shutter section. So I went looking for the specs and Bingo!

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

I do have the PDF, downloaded from Canon. I agree, the fact that there's a TOC rather than an index makes it difficult, especially for such a large document. I appreciate that you were kind enough to take the time to look into that. I doubt I would have thought of doing a search in Acrobat like that, but I'll definitely make that my first step for subsequent questions, which I know I'll have.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements