cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 dg macro for canon blurred images

Gwia
Contributor

Hi All,

I have been using Canon for around 14 years now.
I bought a 2nd hand T5 (550D) which I used up to 2022 when it finally gave up on me.

I got it with the standard 18-55 and also bought a sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro.

I replaced it with the T8 (850D) after the T5 stopped working.

I am a real estate photographer and amateur wild life photographer. The issue I am seeing is that when using the Sigma lens that the images are a bit blurred despite taking necessary steps to make sure that the camera is stable and even having a higher shutter shutter speed on TV mode.

* TV @ 1/1250; F4 / F5.6, ISO 400

The images when using my canon 10-18 lens for real estate are fine so I am leaning towards an issues with the Sigma.
Has anybody else experienced any issues either using the same camera or even a different camera.

Thanks In Advance.

Gwia

16 REPLIES 16

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Gwia and welcome to the forum:
The first question I would ask is have you addressed this to Sigma support, given you are leaning towards the lens being the issue?
I have not seen an issue reported regarding the body having an issue, and Canon does not provide support for 3rd party lenses - which I know is not what you are asking but why I am wondering about contacting Sigma directly.

Outside of that, is there another body that you can borrow to try the lens on to see how it behaves there?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Gwia
Contributor

Hi Tronhard
I appreciate your speedy response.
I have also contacted Sigma and awaiting a response.

I am also trying to source another body to add to the elimination list.

The reason for leaning more towards the lens is that the images seems to be getting progressively worse.

Thanks again for your reply.
Gwia

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Just to clarify: did you get the Sigma at the same time as the 850D, or at some other time?  If it is that recent, then I would suspect that something has come loose in the lens optics, but that is speculation.  Definitely ruling out the body would be helpful.
Has the lens suffered any kinetic issues - been banged, dropped etc., or suffered any environmental issues like being wet or in a dusty or salty atmosphere?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have had the lens for about 11 years now.
My wife and I visit the bush about 4 times a year and have managed to get good pictures using the 850D and the sigma lens.
Just the last couple of times the images haven't been great with this last time being the worst.

The vehicle is switch off and camera is resting on a bean bag when the phots are taken so even engine shake is ruled out. With a shutter speed at 1/1250 there should be no blur what so ever on these images.

Even a fairly close image of a dung beetle being no more then a few meters away came out a little blurred so all images on varius focal length are being impacted.

I can't say that there has been amy impact to the lens. 

I is in the vehicle but may be exposed to a little dust when driving through the bush on the dirt roads but I wouldn't say significantly enough to cause any damage.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please note the MFD for the lens:

150cm(Macro mode 95in.) / 59.1in.(Macro mode 37.4in.) 

The OP mentions "progressively worse" so its not clear when the issue started.  However, if they are trying to focus closer than the MFD, this would be an issue.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick:
MFD could be an issue, but right now I was just concentrating on establishing if it's a lens issue (performance or usage) or a camera one - which I speculate is much less likely.  Certainly, it would be helpful to confirm the date of purchase and if the lens has suffered any impacts etc.  I was in the ruling out stage, so to speak.🙂

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First neither the standard kit lens nor the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro are stellar performers. But as focal length increase so does all the bad things that can happen by the same amount. A lens in the 18mm area will appear better for that reason. A few samples if you could provide some would make a judgment more possible.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Images were take at various focal lengths.
My wife and I have used the lens before and managed to get pretty good images but this time around they were pretty bad in my opinion.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements