cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility of 1/8 aperture increments on EF-lenses in video mode ?

Photomagical
Apprentice

On my canon R7, I find the possibility of 1/8 aperture increments on RF lenses useful when shooting video. How ever when connecting some of my old L EF glass with the basic EF-RF adapter this menu is not available. I know for a fact that EF lenses work internally with 1/8 stops aperture increments. Thus, it must be a software limitation from Canons side.

I am thinking of buying the control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R for my canon R7 andI think I’ve read somewhere that you can get the adapter controlring serviced to do 1/8 stops with EF lenses. Nevertheless, I cannot seem to find the source for this information again. 
Du anyone know if Canon offer this service?

Best regards Lars 🤗

11 REPLIES 11

EF lenses don't have the hardware that RF lenses have. EF lenses date back to 1987 way before Canon envisioned DSLR cameras & Mirrorless cameras. Most importantly lenses designed for video work. A lot of older EF lenses used AF motors that are not designed or intended for video work. Also those AF motors are slow and the apertures don't smoothly transition. They will jump between settings. Also the AF motors will snap back and forth for focus. Lenses with newer AF motors such as Nano USM, STM and Ring Type USM lenses released from 2009 onward. Fix a lot of problems mentioned above. Older slower AF motors were discontinued instead of being upgraded. Arc Form Drive (1987-1992), Micro Motor USM (1992-2016) & Micro Motor (1993-2012) were retired instead of upgraded. The last 2 were replaced by STM in 2012 and Nano USM in 2016. Also AF and Aperture control on Arc Form Drive AF motor lenses work differently than other lenses. These lenses AF and stop down sequentially. Instead of doing this simultaneously. These lenses are limited to 3-4 fps in Servo AF. Due to the way AF and Aperture control work.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Just for the record, Ken Rockwell reports that the new RF 24-105L has *1/32* aperture increments* for video!

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/lenses/24-105mm-f28.htm

*I originally had "stops"

Announcements