cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RF Lens Compatibility with EOS R7

stevety
Contributor

Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM   will these work on the canon eos r7   or do i need adapter

19 REPLIES 19

@Tronhard wrote:

You are showing bias toward Northrop without apparently looking at the results - I would urge you to get past that and LOOK.
Furthermore I have provided material from multiple respected sources to back up my statements but you seem to ignore all of that..

I am not ignoring it.  I think it is now a novel thought experiment without any practical use in the real world, anymore.  

I’ve debated with Northrup on his YouTube channel on this topic.  I might one of the reasons he has made multiple videos on the topic defending the idea.  I pointed out that he’s wrong to promote the idea that applying crop factor your aperture to recreate what FF sensor would capture is compulsory.  He has walked that back without removing the previous misleading videos.

Again, no one uses a camera like that, anymore.  Northrup is chocked full of dinosaur ideas that have been obsolete for years.  The best thing that has happened to him has been mirrorless cameras, which seem to have made him rethink how cameras can be used.  It has been amusing watching him enlighten  himself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Dear Bill and Ernie:

With total respect to you both, I fear that this is one issue that we will have to agree to disagree on. {:-)

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I do not subscribe to the idea that crop factor should be applied to aperture."

Neither do I. Sometimes even smart people come up with dumb theories.

"Yes, but the main effect of aperture is exposure, not depth of field, and crop factor has no effect on that, so it is very misleading to say that crop factor changes the aperture of the lens."

Correct! The whole crop factor concept has been misleading ever since it was. Lenses are lenses are lenses are lenses and there is no good reason to compare them to other cameras you may not have or even if you do have.

In my DSLR 101 classes I never had a single person that even knew about crop factor until some smartie brought it up. Mostly soccer moms and dads for sure but happily ignorant of crop factor and loving their Rebels.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This statement sums it up entirely.

"... it is now a novel thought experiment without any practical use in the real world, anymore."

Although I never thought it had any practical use except for intellectuals. And most of them are not and do not make a living with their cameras. There is a big difference there.

EB

Refer my previous post.  

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

“I’ll agree that the sensor has no impact on the physical aperture of the camera, what I actually say is that the result of the recorded image, because of the cropping effect of the smaller sensor with that same lens has an effect on the Depth of field, which is expressed as an equivalent focal length. “.  

They key phrase here is same lens.  This is what I told Northrup.  The depth of field changes because of the lens swap, not because of the sensor size.

We will just to have to agree to disagree on the usefulness of taking photos this way.  I have never seen anyone do it since the transition from film to digital.  A product photographer wanted to know why his images looked different.  With a white background DOF was irrelevant.  He just wanted the same field of view.

Have you ever used this approach in the real world?  I haven’t.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bill, when I look at the Northrop video I see that the lens is a constant and the variable is the type of sensor of each camera attached to that lens - which appears to be the exact opposite of what I understand you are seeing.  If the lens was varied then the experiment would be totally invalid, but it wasn't.

Part of this, as I have commented in other materials, is one of nomenclature.   I look at the image that a lens projects onto a sensor, which is essentially a cone of light, and see that as delivering an Angle of View.  Angles are measured in units of arc, not mm of x by y.   What the sensor captures from that projected cone of light is what is actually  recorded - which is what counts in considering the end result, so the sensor must be considered - and is measured in mm x mm.  All consumer cameras use some kind of rectangular image within that projected cone.  Given that convention has identified a sensor of 24mm x 36mm as 'Full Frame' (and I agree with others that this is a rather ad hoc thing, but it is generally accepted). 

As to lenses... I think we all agree that any lens of a given focal length and aperture range has those characteristics within its physical makeup no matter what camera body or sensor it is associated with.  Where I think we differ is that I consider that the resultant image is the result of the angle of projection of the lens together with what is captured by the sensor.  This, to me is not an angle of view, it is a Field of View or Field of Capture.  It is the terminology and lack of differentiation between lens output and sensor capture that starts to undermine the discussion.  It soon progresses into talking 'chalk and cheese'.

I won't go back over the ground that Norton, who by the way is only ONE reference I provided, including some seriously respected publications and authorities in optics.  So far, from what I see the contrary argument is based on personal belief or experience.

I will suggest as regards looking at the impact of the combination of lens + sensor to simply go through the various Depth of Field calculators available on the market.  For ONE example, I will give a shot and link to that explained and used on the website Cambridgeincolour - a well-respected website: the link is HERE .  One can see how to get the same effect for perspective and DoF one must use different values for different sensors.  Here a FF camera with 50mm at f/8 is compared to an APS-C camera and to get the same result it requires substantially different characteristics for a lens.
DoF example.jpg

The phenomena of reduced FoV and DoF exist, and there is lots of documentary and practical proof to that effect.  The question is, is that of any practical impact on a photographer?   I see that Ernie does not see that it does, and is rather dismissive of those who may have ventured into this territory in his classes. I don't dismiss it or those that ask, I engage with them.  In the majority of my classes - especially those for non-technical novices, I don't bring it up unless asked - but it DOES come up where people are engaging with gear between sensor platforms. 

In one case I had a chap in a class who was getting into real estate photography.  He had a friend who was already doing this, using a FF Canon camera and an EF 17-40L lens.  He tried that lens out on his friend's camera and based on its performance, he bought the same unit.  He was upset that he didn't get anything like the coverage on his own camera.  Why? Because he was using an APS-C camera and the Field of Capture was significantly reduced to an effective 27-64mm FoV.  The lens he should have bought would have been in the region of 10-20mm - like the EF-S lens of that range that would have rendered a FoV of 16-32mm.  The issue was he was ignorant of the phenomenon and worked off the numbers on the lens alone, without considering the differences in sensor.

As to DoF.  I agree that this is an issue to a much smaller constituency: I would suggest predominantly those engaged in portrait photography where DoF and the ability to limit that with wide apertures is of significance.  That is what I saw demonstrated by Northrop.  The phenomenon of DoF variance when trying to maintain a level of perspective and depth of field is measured in the calculators of which the one I liked to is an example.

Finally, as to the relevance of considering how sensor and lens designs will interact is demonstrated by posts here and in the documentation for the R-series FF bodies.  I have seen people wanting to use EF-S and RF-S lenses on their FF R-series bodies.  Now, it can be done for the former via the EF-RF adapter, or directly for the RF-S lenses.  It should be noted that the 15-45mm and 18-135 lenses now available are meant to be used on the R7 and R10 bodies but CAN be physically connected to the FF bodies - this was not possible on the DSLR platform, so was not an issue.  Because those EF-S and RF-S lenses are designed for a smaller crop sensor, they do not project onto the whole area of a FF sensor, and this results in the effective resolution being reduced dramatically - by a factor of 2.56 in fact.  This is not obvious to those not aware of the context within which these two  platforms engage, but is it buried in the manuals, for example this one for the R6 body that documents how the resolution is reduced from 20MP to 7.7MP:
R6 Crop Mode.jpg

My point is that these are traps for the unwary and they are of practical significance, not just theory.  So consideration of these issues is not unreasonable.

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I’m not a fan of Northrup’s controversial series of videos on this topic.  He comes across as if this is something that mandatory to do."

Me neither, never was. His thinking is flawed and he is hesitant to change or correct it even though he has mostly been proved wrong in his theory.

"The light falls on the whole sensor equally, ..."

This is the big thing Tony didn't or doesn't understand. It is also a stumbling block for lots of folks. The entire issue can be summed up by AOV, Angle of View. 

EB

CaliforniaDream
Enthusiast

Wow, again and again,  This topic has been talked to death!!  I have an opinion as to who is "More Correct" but I will not share.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The problem with this and a lot of topics is "over thinking".  Trying to see a problem when none exists.

EB
Announcements