cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 55-250mm generates Error 60 and whirring noise

nellestefania
Contributor

Hi, I was gifted a T5i and had this extra lens but I keep getting an error on the screen. Plus some mechanical whirling sound. Not sure if I need to download something? Because when I checked to see the compatibility online, it said that it would work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"I was told that that rebel was too old to work with this lens now, even though I was told originally that it should be fine." 

All of Canon's Rebel models have always been compatible with EF-S lenses regardless of the release of the lens. There's never been an incompatibility with newer EF-S on older Rebel DSLR models. The same applies to EF lenses too. EF lenses work on both Full Frame & APS-C cameras regardless of the release date of the lens. I'm able to use my new EF lenses on my dad's EOS 650 film camera from 1987 (first EOS film camera) without any incompatibilities. Now EF-S won't work there incompatible for a reason. Yes it appears to be an issue with your lens. It should be returned or repaired by Canon but get a quote first before repairs are made to the lens. Repair may exceed the cost of the lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What error code is it and what is the full name of the lens. Canon has released 3 versions of this lens. The current version of the lens is the STM variant. The full name of the lens can be found by removing the lens cap or the name will be on the outer ring of the lens. Your camera takes EF or EF-S Mount lenses. But the whirring sound is clue that something is broken in the lens. Nothing needs to be downloaded for the lens to work. All EF or EF-S work regardless of when the lens was released. 

Full name on the outer ringFull name on the outer ring  Full name is visible when the lens cap is removedFull name is visible when the lens cap is removed

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

thanks for the thorough explanation and reply!! the lens is:

canon zoom lens ef-s 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM 

" I keep getting an error on the screen." What error code is your camera reporting this is important.

"Plus some mechanical whirling sound." Will the lens AF at all. IF not try using Manual Focus or use Manual Focus override. Note this lens is what is called "focus by wire". The focus ring IS NOT mechanically connected to the lens' focusing elements. The focus ring is electronically connected to the lens' AF motor for manual focus to work. What mode is the camera set to. Set the camera to P Mode or any creative zone mode ie (M, Av, Tv & P) modes. With the AF method set to One Shot AF. Not AI Servo or AI Focus mode. Half press the shutter button and turn the focus ring.

-Demetrius

Oh sorry! Error code 60

Error Code 60 means: "Shooting is not possible due to an error. Turn the camera off and on again." Do any other lenses you use (or can borrow) cause this error too. Be sure to use a 1st party Canon EF or EF-S lens. It doesn't have to be the same lens or same focal length. IF NOT there's a problem with your lens. I recommend resetting the camera FIRST. Before the lens is deemed defective. The camera will need to be set to the creative zone ie (M, Av, Tv & P) modes to reset the camera back to factory default including the Custom Functions too.

-Demetrius

Thanks so much Demetrius. The camera works fine with its original lens. I did the above and still receiving the whirling sound. So I guess it's the lens?

The lens was purchased from Canon refurbished products page but originally for an older rebel. I was told that that rebel was too old to work with this lens now, even though I was told originally that it should be fine, but something to do with the firmware. Anyways, the t5i was being tossed from my jobs studio so I grabbed it, and I had hoped the lens would work because I am looking for a bit more zoom for an upcoming trip. And the return window is now closed for the lens. Such a bummer. But thank you! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like the lens is in need of repair, since it doesn't work on 2 different cameras. I recommended returning it or getting it repaired in your other post on this same lens.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/EF-S-55-250mm-focusing-issue-on-a-Reb... 

"I was told that that rebel was too old to work with this lens now, even though I was told originally that it should be fine." 

All of Canon's Rebel models have always been compatible with EF-S lenses regardless of the release of the lens. There's never been an incompatibility with newer EF-S on older Rebel DSLR models. The same applies to EF lenses too. EF lenses work on both Full Frame & APS-C cameras regardless of the release date of the lens. I'm able to use my new EF lenses on my dad's EOS 650 film camera from 1987 (first EOS film camera) without any incompatibilities. Now EF-S won't work there incompatible for a reason. Yes it appears to be an issue with your lens. It should be returned or repaired by Canon but get a quote first before repairs are made to the lens. Repair may exceed the cost of the lens.

-Demetrius

Announcements