cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF Lens questions - Focal length recommendations, lens nomenclature

Kenpoist7
Contributor

Hi, very new to photography, I will say (write) things using what I read on descriptions or using my own nomenclature.

Background:

I have a Canon 5d Mark II (limited knowledge of the controls), the lens I have is a Canon 24-70mm 1:2.8 L USM.

Questions

1 - Is there any data sheets that explain what lens focal lengths are best used for? i.e. sports, landscape...

2 - As I said my lens is "Canon 24-70mm 1:2.8 L USM", however there is no prefix before the II USM. Can I use all USM lenses regardless of the prefix?

3 - My lens also has an "L" in the details. Must I only use the lenses with the "L" designation.

Example: Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD G2 - Canon EF fit

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

You can use any Canon EF lenses you want. They don't have to be L series lenses. Or you can use 3rd Party lenses with an EF Mount. But make sure they're full frame and NOT APS-C. Lenses with the pre fix EF-S, EF-M, RF & RF-S are NOT compatible with your camera. 

1000004105.png

1000004106.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

You can use any Canon EF lenses you want. They don't have to be L series lenses. Or you can use 3rd Party lenses with an EF Mount. But make sure they're full frame and NOT APS-C. Lenses with the pre fix EF-S, EF-M, RF & RF-S are NOT compatible with your camera. 

1000004105.png

1000004106.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Thanks, at the prices of lenses this could have been a very unpleasant adventure not to mention costly.

Thanks again.

Hi, I'm actually looking at this lens used, but their description does not indicate "Full Frame" (Canon EF 500mm f/4 L is USM) is that designation hidden in the model number?

All Canon EF Mount lenses are Full Frame. Then all EF-S lenses are APS-C. If the prefix says EF then it is Full Frame. 3rd Party lenses will use different naming between APS-C and Full Frame. Also it's up to the 3rd Party when it comes to compatibility. Just because it mounts doesn't mean it's Fully compatible. 

-Demetrius

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Here is Canon's lens naming conventions below. Here is the Canon 5D Mark II Manual to better assist you with learner your camera's controls and functions.

• EOS: Electro Optical System (What EOS stands for)
  • EF: Electronic Focus: lens mount ALL EOS DSLRs & Film SLRs use (original EOS Mount) (Red Circle Mounting Index, 12 o’clock position)
  • EF-S: A separate lens Mount designed for APS-C DSLRs NOT compatible and won’t mount to any Full Frame Digital, 35mm Film SLRs or APS-H DSLRs. Note this is a DSLR Crop Sensor ONLY Mount. (White Square Mounting Index, 1 o’clock position)
  • EF-M: Lens Mount for EOS-M series Mirrorless cameras. Incompatible with DSLRs or EOS Film SLRs & EOS R Series. (White Circle Mounting Index, 11 o’clock position) (2012-2023, discontinued). 
  • RF: Lens Mount for EOS R series Mirrorless cameras. Incompatible with EOS DSLRs or EOS Film SLRs. (Red Oval Mounting Index, 12 o’clock position)
  • RF-S: Lens is optimized for EOS R series APS-C cameras. Can be used on EOS R series Full Frame cameras but the image is cropped to the APS-C image circle. Note this is NOT a separate lens mount.
  • L: Canon's professional grade lenses only available in Full Frame lenses NO APS-C lenses.
  • DO: Diffractive Optics uses Fresnel lenses
  • I, II, III, IV, V: Some lenses have multiple revisions such as the EF 28-80 F/3.5-5.6 V USM (ONLY lens to have a Version V)
  • Ring Type USM: AF motor type. Provides fast focusing stands for Ultrasonic Motor. Ring Type USM is the original USM AF motor. Shaped like a ring inside the lens. Allows Full Time Manual Focus either Focus by Wire or mechanical.
  • Micro Motor USM: Cheaper and slower AF Motor doesn't allow Full Time Manual Focus. Lens uses gears to adjust focus. EXCEPT for the EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens (refer to Ring Type USM Mechanical Focus override). (1993-2008 retired, replaced by Nano USM)
  • Nano USM: Combines STM and USM technology for fast AF. Allows Full Time Manual Focus is Focus by wire. (2016- Present)
  • STM: Stepper Motor for quiet AF. Allows Full Time Manual Focus which is Focus by Wire. RF 10-20mm F4L IS STM (First L series lens to use an STM AF Motor) (2012- Present)
  • AFD: Arc-Form Drive original EOS AF motor. No longer in use was replaced by Micro Motor in 1993 for new lens designs. No Full Time Manual Focus (Retired 1987-1992)
  • Micro Motor: Older least advanced AF motor slower AF used in cheaper lenses. No Full Time Manual Focus. (Retired, 1993-2012) Replaced by STM in 2012.
  • IS: Image Stabilization available in the lens.
  • IBIS: In Body Image Stabilization available in select EOS R Series cameras.
  • Macro: A macro lens with 1:1 magnification
  • Compact Macro: Lens is able to focus closer than a normal macro lens.
  • MP-E: Manual Focus only electronic aperture control no focus to infinity.
  • TS-E: Tilt Shift lens with electronic aperture control no Autofocus. 
  • Soft Focus: Lens is designed to provide a creamy bokeh effect.
  • PZ: Power Zoom lens. Only 1 lens released with this feature. Only the EF 35-80mm F/4-5.6 PZ lens used this. 
  • TTL: Through The Lens Flash metering. Flash system relies on light reflected off the film. NOT compatible with EOS Digital cameras.
  • A-TTL: Advanced Through The Lens Flash metering system in EOS film bodies released in 1986. Replaced by E-TTL in 1995. System uses a pre-flash measured by a sensor on the speedlite itself. NOT compatible with EOS Digital cameras. Uses EZ series speedlites
  • E-TTL Version 1: Evaluative Through The lens Flash metering system. System uses a pre-flash measured by the camera body to calculate flash exposure. System also relies on AF point selection too. Compatible with EX or EL series speedlites. Replaced by E-TTL II in 2004.
  • E-TTL II: Refer to E-TTL Version 1. System was released in 2004 and works similarly to the original E-TTL. But uses focus distance information from the lens. Via a distance encoder in the lens. E-TTL II doesn't rely on AF point selection. Note E-TTL II is IMPLEMENTED in the camera body NOT the speedlite.
  • EOS M Series: A discontinued APS-C mirrorless lineup of cameras (2012-2023). Replaced by EOS R Series APS-C cameras in 2023. EF-M lenses CAN NOT BE ADAPTED to EOS DSLRs or EOS R cameras.
  • EOS R Series: Originally released in 2018 with Full Frame cameras only. Later in 2023 with APS-C cameras. New APS-C lenses were released. 
  • Z: Lens has an optional attachment to allow power zoom. Only the RF 24-105mm F/2.8L IS USM Z lens has this feature.
  • Automatic Brightness Adjustment of LED AF Assist Beam: Feature IS NOT SUPPORTED on the R3, R7 & R10 camera bodies.
  • AF Assist Beam: An AF Assist Lamp to aid the camera’s AF system in low light or low contrast situations.
  • IR AF Assist Beam: A red grid pattern projected by the speedlite to aid an SLR/ DSLR camera’s AF system. Note this red grid pattern IS NOT Infrared. This AF Assist Beam type IS INCOMPATIBLE with mirrorless cameras.
  • Intermittent Flash Firing AF Assist Beam: Camera rapidly pulses the speedlite for AF Assist. This AF Assist Beam type IS SUPPORTED ON ALL EX & EL speedlites when used on the EOS R Series. Note speedlites that have a PERSONAL FUNCTION for IR & Intermittent Flash Firing. Always use Intermittent Flash Firing on the EOS R series regardless of the projection method. When set to Intermittent Flash Firing. If a color filter or flash diffuser is used. The camera body emits an LED AF Assist Beam on the EOS R series. Intermittent Flash Firing is DISABLED when a color filter or flash diffuser is used. Speedlites without a PERSONAL FUNCTION between IR and Intermittent Flash Firing. The speedlite WILL use Intermittent Flash Firing on the EOS R series. Note depending on the ambient lighting an AF Assist Beam may be projected by the camera body instead of the speedlite on the EOS R series. This AF Assist Beam type ONLY works on cameras released from 2007-onward. 
  • LED AF Assist Beam: Bright white light (on a speedlite) or orange LED light (on an EOS R series camera body) that aids the camera for AF Assist. This AF Assist Beam type ONLY works on cameras released from 2007-onward. 

-Demetrius

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Kind of. All EF lenses are full frame, EF-S lenses are for APS-C cameras with the smaller sensor.

Thanks! another feather in my cap

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements