cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can collar be replaced on EF 75-300mm 1:4-4.6 III - The collar that lens cap clips onto is broken.

staceygrosvenor
Contributor

My Canon lens was dropped and the collar (outer ring) was broken and now the lens cap won't stay on.  I see three small screws around the perimeter of the collar, and am thinking it may be replaceable.  Does anyone have advice on how to replace the broken piece?  Where to buy that part - assuming it's available for purchase?broken lens.jpgbroken lens 2.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could call Canon's parts department:

Canon Parts Dept Canon Parts Order Desk at (866) 481-2569 Weekdays from 9 AM - 7 PM, ET.
You need the Lens Barrel Front Filter Ring Assembly.

or

I did a Google search on "EF 75-300mm 1:4-4.6 III parts" and AliExpress has the part (Lens Barrel Front Filter Ring Assembly). It looks like the 3 screws hold it in place. 

staceygrosvenor
Contributor

Thank you so much Bob for the quick and helpful response!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to help. It looks like an easy fix. Is the lens still functioning properly?

staceygrosvenor
Contributor

Yes, the lens works fine.  And I just purchased it a few months ago.  The only problem is that I cannot get the lens cap to stay attached with that ring being broken.  I ordered that replacement part from AliExpress, but it's coming from China and may take a few weeks to arrive.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes...   🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good. If you don't have a set of JIS screwdrivers, you may want to get them. They look like Phillips screws but are actually JIS screws and a Phillips screwdriver may strip out the screw head.

staceygrosvenor
Contributor

Oh....thank you for that tip.  You're right, I was thinking they were Phillips head screws.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us know how you make out on the repair.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Curious...the tabs on the lens cover should engage when not in the broken part.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Because the front filter ring broke apart, it can sort of hold the lens cap on there (if I put it on there just right), but it doesn't for long.  If the lens gets touched while placing it back into my camera bag, for instance, the lens cap comes off.  The broken ring doesn't have any grip to hold onto the lens cap.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements