cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50mm 1.8 ii repair cost

AJB3000
Contributor

The other day, I drop my 50mm 1.8 ii lens and it broke. The lens itself still works but I'm not able to get it to focus. So I need to know if it is fixable and how much it would cost roughly. I've included a picture for reference 

1000008027.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

rs-eos
Elite

Not sure why you mentioned it still works if it cannot get focus.  Anyhow, it may be cheaper to get a new lens at this point.  Assuming this is the EF version, a new EF f/1.8 STM is around $125.  You could also look into any refurbished ones for a lower cost.

Though you could still contact Canon to see about getting an estimate.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Well if it can't focus then it doesn't work. And I'm sure there are people that are on here knows someone who owns a repair shop or can repair it themselves because I became aware that canon no longer supports this the fixing of this lens

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Canon no longer repairs the EF 50mm F/1.8 II lens anymore. That lens was released in 1991 and uses an old and slow AF motor called Arc-Form Drive (AFD). This AF motor was discontinued and replaced by Micro Motor in 1993. The new EF 50mm F/1.8 STM lens adds features that your current lens doesn't support. Your current lens doesn't support Movie Servo AF, Quiet AF, focus distance encoder for E-TTL II flash photography or Full Time Manual Focus when the lens is set to AF mode. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks for the additional information on the why. I am not looking for recommendations on the replacement of it because I prefer the older quality and would rather put in the money to repair it than replacing it

Parts for these lenses that use Arc-Form Drive (AFD) AF Motors. Are very slim to none since Canon didn't make lenses with this AF motor for very long. It was around from 1987-1992 until being replaced in 1993 with Micro Motor. Most cheaper consumer lenses from 1993-2012 used this AF motor. Parts are easier to find for them since those lenses were in production longer. Some AFD Arc-Form Drive (AFD) such as the EF 50mm F/2.8 Macro were in production as late as 2018/19. I believe that was the last lens in production to use an Arc-Form Drive AF Motor. You could also look into the EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens. It was released in 1993 but this lens has a twist. It uses a Micro Motor USM AF motor and allows full time manual focus. This lens uses an additional clutch system for it work. No other Micro Motor USM lenses used this. Micro Motor USM lenses lack a focus distance scale and spin the focus ring when AF is being performed. Compared to a lens with a Ring Type USM AF motor. But Micro Motor USM has been discontinued and retired now. Nano USM replaced it in 2016 but production of Micro Motor USM ended around 2008.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Look for a used one if you want the "older quality".  Used dealers like UsedPhotoPro.com, KEH.com, MPB.com are good sources. Then, there is Ebay.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  I prefer the older quality and would rather put in the money to repair it than replacing it"

Repair is not likely at any reasonable cost but buying a good used one is. Check the good used sources like KEH, B&H, Adorama, plus others even eBay and a pawn shop or two.

"The lens itself still works but I'm not able to get it to focus."

You know how that sounds! 😊 But seriously a dropped lens can have and usually has more issues than just a focus motor not working. There can be alignment issues and decentering. A simple parts replacement may not be all that is required to fix it properly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't appreciate the tone. And I'm aware that there could be more wrong. And again I'm not asking for a replacement, I'm asking for an estimate. This has been very unhelpful and very condescending. All I asked was an estimate and everyone isn't giving me one. So if you're not going to give me an actual estimate don't reply 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I don't appreciate the tone."

Me neither. All we are trying to do is help and answer the question with the best possible course. It may not be the answer you like or want but it is the answer you got and worth exactly what you paid for it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements