cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS6420 - serious issues printing to plain paper

GoGayleGo
Apprentice

Hello,

Just bought a TS6420 two days ago.  No issues with setup, but am having a terrible time printing on plain paper (printing to 4x6 Canon photo paper, either glossy or matte, works fine - I don't think I have any larger photo paper to try but I'll check).  My guess is that it's some combination of paper and print settings.  I have tried three different plain papers (Staples Copy Paper, 20#, 92 bright; Hammermill Premium Color Copy Paper, 28/70#, 100 bright, and lastly Hammermill Premium Inkjet & Laser Paper, 24#, 97 bright).  I definitely have better results when printing from the Canon Print app on my phone than from my desktop computer (speaking to print settings, but not sure what to tweak there), but that doesn't explain or solve it all.

Yesterday, I screen shot part of a map.  Printed it on 8 1/2 x 11 and it was horrendous!  Colors off, not crisp, just bad overall.  Printed same exact file on my color laser printer (at 8 1/2 x 11) and it was fine.  Printed on 4x6 Canon glossy and matte photo paper, looked great (but wasn't sure if that was due to printing at smaller size, didn't think so since the laser print looked good).  Cut the Staples Copy Paper and Hammermill Premium plain papers mentioned above down to 4x6 and fed through rear feeder.  Results:

Staples paper, printed from cell: bad

Hammermill Premium paper printed from cell: decent/good (not as nice as photo paper, but that's to be expected)

Hammermill Premium paper printed from computer: bad

I thought from those results that it was definitely the print settings on the computer.  But then I printed the same file from cell phone to the same Hammermill Premium paper at 8 1/2 x 11, and it was back to crap.  Ugh!

I am very frustrated, and have used a ton of ink with no real progress.  I can take/post pictures of what I'm seeing and the conditions I'm using, but there would be a LOT.

I need to be able to print with reasonable color/resolution to plain paper.  I need to be able to print from my computer, not just cell phone.  I need to be able to print at 8 1/2 x 11.

ETA: On a few of my trials, printed on both sides of paper, in case paper was "sided"...did not change results.

Help, please.

Thanks,

Gayle

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please post 1 or 2 examples for us to see.

Knowing what OS you are using the printer with might also be helpful.

Keep in mind we are only guessing until we see actual images of the issue.

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0300039981/01/TS6400ser_OnlineManual_Win_EN_V01.pdf

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm using Windows 8.1, printing (for now) out of Windows Photo Viewer.  Didn't want to move into Photoshop until issues are resolved.

Below:

Top left - Color Laser printer (not sure what paper was in that printer, 8 1/2 x 11), printed from Windows Photo Viewer

Top right - TS6420, Hammermill Premium, 8 1/2 x 11, printed from cellphone/Canon app

Bottom right - TS6420, Hammermill Premium, 8 1/2 x 11, printed from Windows Photo Viewer

Of the four small pictures bottom left:

Top left - TS6420, Canon Glossy, 4x6, printed from cellphone/Canon app

Top right - TS6420, Canon Matte, 4x6, printed from cellphone/Canon app

Bottom left - TS6420, Hammermill Premium, 4x6, printed from cellphone/Canon app

Bottom right - TS6420, Hammermill Premium, 4x6, printed from Windows Photo Viewer

The ones that are "bad" here look worse in person.  Fuzzy, not crisp, washed out.

PXL_20201116_173149261.jpg

Any chance a Canon expert could step in to help?  There doesn't seem to be any way to contact Canon directly except by phone - I need to get this going pretty quickly.

Thanks,

Gayle

Hi, Gayle!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Danny,

1) I had already been to the webpage at the link you provided....doesn't list this product!

2) I have called the support line, and although I registered this product over the weekend, the automated line is telling me it is not registered and won't connect me to anyone who can help.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Gayle

Hi GoGayleGo,

Please contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via chat. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/ts-s...

Once that page loads, please click the "Have a question" box in the lower right corner and you will eventually be contacted to technical support.  They can assist you with this issue and with the issue regarding your inability to contact via phone.

I know that the model is different than the one that you own, but the chat feature has not been added to the TS6420 page yet.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements