cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG6620 Won't Turn On

trichey
Apprentice

Apparently there has been something Canon has updated today or over the weekend which has caused a variety of users to experience the exact same problem - printer decided to power off and won't power back up. You cannot tell me that it is just a coincidence that all of our hardware drivers crashed at the exact same time. I am not buying a new printer when mine worked fine a couple of days ago before Memorial Day weekend.

31 REPLIES 31

deztheray
Apprentice

Just tried printing for the first time in a while and it wont stay on, turns on and then back off. 

Have you tried removing it from your Wi-Fi network? It's shutting down as it tries to communicate on the Wi-Fi. Try to turn off your home Wi-Fi, turn on your printer and reset/remove the Wi-Fi settings on the printer. Check if you will be able to print locally via cable as it works for me... seems the issue of shutting down has something to do with communication to Wi-Fi. Canon needs to resolve this issue 

If you want to be able to print over wifi, just follow my solution post. Change your DNS to .001 and BOOM!

sheri99
Enthusiast

SOLUTION: After a 1:57 hold time with Canon customer service.... I have the solution! (and that was 2 hours, not 2 minutes) If this is happening to you it is very easily fixed. [Removed per forum guidelines]  Although I wish I could make up for my 2 + hours of time. The tech told me that when they walked into the office Tuesday morning, "the stuff had hit the fan" because this has affected many models and they don't know what caused it. Here is what you need to do to fix it:

Completely unplug your router and then turn on your printer (it won't stay on if your router is because of a linking problem with the router, that we are going to fix.)  So this is the step-by-step for the MG6620 and probably those models with similar menus, but whatever model you have just try to get to your DNS Server Setup. That is where the setting is that needs manually changed. So for the MG6620:

On the menu swipe to Setup, then find Web Service Setup then DNS Server Setup. Select Manual.  Press each set of numbers and change them all to 000 except the last set. That needs to be 001. So your DNS will look like this: 000.000.000.001  Click OK, then click No.

That's it. You should be good to print.

You are welcome!  Too bad someone at Canon doesn't just post this somewhere. Would've save a lot of people a lot of headaches, I'm sure. 

Thank you so much!!!  It worked and I am back in business. I work 2 days a week from home and need to print because at my certain job location I do not have a printer.  And I had just bought about a year supply of ink to spend down a grant budget.  Didn’t want to see it go to waste.    I did go buy another printer yesterday though - $150.00 but I guess I will submit and get reimbursed from work so I have one my location now.  
Unbelievable that Canon has not posted anything.  

GOWOKEGOBROKE
Contributor

Canon Maxify MB2320

Printer started power cycling when Canon screwed everyone else this past weekend.  I took the DNS "Fix" and instead of doing all of the steps I only....

1. Unplugged the printer
  2. Unplugged the modem ethernet from the router (You could also turn off router)
  3. Plugged in the printer, it turned on by itself, cycled and finally brought me to the menu without shutting off
  4. Plugged the modem ethernet back into the router
  5. Test printed from the PC, worked
  6. Test print from mobile, worked
  7. So far, so good

Printer bought in 02.2015 and have never installed a firmware update and whatever Canon did this weekend, it still affected mine

mattvs2
Apprentice

My printer will not turn on. I used it yesterday to print one page, and today it doesn't respond to power up. Unplugged and plugged back in. Turned off my laptop, router, and modem like some other threads suggest. Still nothing. Left unplugged for 30+ minutes and tried. Still nothing. One thread says to update firmware. How do you do that when the device doesn't power on? What's next Canon?

From Sheri99 above -

Completely unplug your router and then turn on your printer (it won't stay on if your router is because of a linking problem with the router, that we are going to fix.)  So this is the step-by-step for the MG6620 and probably those models with similar menus, but whatever model you have just try to get to your DNS Server Setup. That is where the setting is that needs manually changed. So for the MG6620:

On the menu swipe to Setup, then find Web Service Setup then DNS Server Setup. Select Manual.  Press each set of numbers and change them all to 000 except the last set. That needs to be 001. So your DNS will look like this: 000.000.000.001  Click OK, then click No.

That's it. You should be good to print.

Thank you and Sheri, but this has not worked for me. Tried again today. All wifi is off in my home. The printer has been unplugged for months. It will not power on. I'll never buy anything from Canon ever again since they're offering no help on this. Thanks again for sharing. 

molydoly
Contributor

Check you power cord. May be it is damage. If it is working fine replug the cord after 5 to 10 minutes. If printer turn on then it is working fine otherwise change the power cord.

Announcements