cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX492 ink error

yuri10
Contributor

my mx492 gives me the 1688 out of ink error. the last cartridge was low but i'm sure was not out. i've put in a new cartridge but still get the error. as well, i can't scan. thnx

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is one of those things that is hard to diagnose over the web.  Cartridge replaced but fails to show correct ink level.  

What can you do:

Remove the ink tank and ensure its contact are clean and any tapes that need to re removed before use has been completely removed.

Remove and re-seat the ink carrier or print head. 

Try a different cartridge..  expensive however.  

Perform reset > Maintenance Button > Right Arrow (button)  > Device > and then reset options.

Power off, unplug.  Wait a minute and reconnect and turn baclk on. 

Uninstall / reinstall the printer and its drivers - this one is not likely to solve anything if the printer is not reading the ink levels correctly on its own. 

If the printer is not detecting the ink level independantly of the computer, its the tank or the print head.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Danny

Thanks for being active in our community! We're happy to share that it's possible to scan with an empty ink tank or cartridge. To start scanning, follow the instructions at this link.

Announcements