cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which profile is best for low light filming?

balf
Contributor
Hi There, I have a question, if anyone can help me!
Which color profile would you choose to keep the picture as lees noisy as possible when shooting in low light in these situations: 1) low light in clubs environment where lights brightness and contrast varies a lot? 2) In situations where lights are dimmed but not changing much? Thank you very much!
Read more

5 REPLIES 5

Tim
Authority

Hello balf, 

I understand that you have questions regarding profiles for low light shooting.  So the community can better assist you we'd like to find out which camera system you are using.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

balf
Contributor

Hi, 

Yes sorry!! I have a Canon C100 MK2! And I will be using a canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, a canon EF 35mm F/2 IS USM and perhaps a sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 for wider shots.

Thank you very much!

Hello Balf, 

The Custom Picture File most suited to this would be C9: Cinema.  This uses the Canon Log gamma and color matrix for an outstanding dynamic range and an image suitable for processing in post-production.  Using this option requires image processing in post-production.  

If you are looking to spend minimal time in post, then C8: Wide DR may be more appropriate.  This applies a gamma curve with a very wide dynamic range and an appropriate color matrix that nevertheless does not require post-production processing.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

balf
Contributor
Hi Tim,
Thank you very much, yes it makes sense to use a flat picture profile but perhaps C9 is better then WDR as I have seen test footage where at high ISO WDR was the noisiest of all and Canon Log being the best along with some customised profiles, but this was not done in low light.
Thank you very much for your help!

Hello balf, 

You are more than welcome for the assistance.  You'll get the widest range with the flat profile Canon Log offers which should work well for you, even in low light. We wish you the best of luck with capturing this footage.  

Announcements