Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

EOS C200 Third party Charger - Is it safe?

Hi

I travel some times and I need to use my other wall charger that I use with most of my filming gears tablet phone etc for my canon C200 Camera

so my question is could I do any harm to my battery if I choose to use option (B) insted of original charger that comes with the camera option (A)

Option (B) that I want to use consists of :

1-AUKEY Amp PD Duo USB Wall Charger with 29W USB

Input: AC 100-240V
USB-A Output (AiPower): 5V 3A Max

2-USB 2.0 A Type Male to 5.5 x 2.5mm DC 5V

3- Original canon Single Battery Bay

Thanks!
CC.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: EOS C200 Third party Charger - Is it safe?

I would assume the answer to be yes.  USB ports do not put out sufficient voltage to charge most DSLR batteries.  I would assume that would apply to video camera batteries, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Thank you but is that yes I can use it or you mean yes It will harm my battery?

Honored Contributor

@zombiebobowrote:

Hi Thank you but is that yes I can use it or you mean yes It will harm my battery?

You asked is there a potential to damage your batteries.  Yes, using a third party charger has the potential to damage your battery.  

There is really no such thing as a universal charger.  I would compare them to universal TV remote controls.  Chargers are finicky beasts.  They are designed to deliver/trickle a certain amount of current into a specific load.  

Unlike a charger, a universal remote can be configured for a specific TV brand, or even model.  A universal charger simply emits a steady stream of current, irregardless of whether or not the volume and rate is appropriate for the device that is hooked up to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

Thank you Smiley Happy