cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C300 Mk II or C200 Proxy Workflow?

Fahnon
Apprentice

I can't seem to find any info on this: Both the C300 mk II and the C200 name the proxy files recorded onto SD cards differently than the full res files recorded to CFast cards. If you were doing a color pass, normally you would use the file names to connect back to the full files after editing in Resolve, but that is not possible here.  What is the workflow Canon suggests for proxy editing?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

karthikeyanmuru
Apprentice

Did you find an answer to this? I'm also finding that that the time code is different as well making it impossible to link them

No.  Canon never answered here, so I called them.  They acknowledged the issue to me, and said they'd report it to the engineers.  I kept asking a few weeks in a row, but they basically said all they can do is report it.  They also suggested I use a renaming script to solve the name issue.  It's soooo strange for them to add a killer feature like in-camera proxy recording, and not implement it in a usable way.

Interesting. The thing is that even renaming the files don't work. Looks like there is an issue with Timecodes out of sync as well.

I didn't even bother trying the proxies that would actually make my life harder in the beginning.  I'm used to shooting on Blackmagics and older REDs that don't do proxies in-camera, so I kick out low res versions in Resolve.  It's slower, but I don't have time right now to learn a new skill mid-project; so It'll have to wait until early next year.  I just wish they tried to actually use the camera in this way before release because it would have been obvious it's not workable.

My question to Canon was literally "what is Canon's recommended workflow when using proxy files in the C200", and they didn't have an answer until a bit of back and forth when they suggested the renaming, which is a workaround using 3rd party tools, not a solution.  Not surprising they don't know about any issues with timecode...

OK finally got it working.

This involves manually renaming the Proxy files to match the 4K RAW files from the CFast card.

I reformatted both MP4 SD Card and the CFast Card and before shooting reset the timecode in C200 System menu.

From the FCPX project, I make the cuts I need to create a final timeline with just the clips I need. Export the XML from FCPX and in Resolve, create a new project, add related 4K RAW files to a bin and import the XML file and important thing is to CHECK ignore file extensions so it only matches the filename and not the CRM and MP4 file extensions. Then it will prompt you to locate the CRM files when you do you have the FCPX timeline loaded in Resolve for color grading. Phew, spent a good 10 hours because the timecodes where out of sync on both cards because the camera maintains the timecode based on the SLOT and not the media (I think). Resetting for every new shoot is what I am going to do.

Announcements