cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Connect painfully slow on iOS devices

onkytonk
Apprentice

Hello,
I've owned my R6 for a little while now, but my issue is mostly with the Canon Connect app on iOS.

I've previously owned a 70D, 6D and M50 and used the Connect app frequently.

However, since owning the M50 and now R6 I have found that photo transfers have become painstakingly slow. To the point where I've stopped using the app, and using a physical SD card reader plugged into my iphone or ipad. A regular RAW file can take almost 2 minutes to transfer. I've tried using the bluetooth connection that sets up the wifi connection automatically, I've also tried setting up the wifi manually. I've tried on my iphone and ipad with the same issue.
I've read that people that had similiar issues were experiencing this only on iOS devices. So I download the EOS utility app on my laptop, and transferring the same RAW file took under 7 SECONDS!

I have tried resetting settings on my phone, even tried a friends iphone and the same issue exists.

I'm not sure if this is an iOS setting, or the Canon Connect app itself on iOS, but it's simple become unusable. Even the Live View function in the app is barely functioning because it is so unresponsive. Trying to click the shutter in live view can take several seconds to respond.

I'm really hoping this does no land off deaf ears, and there is a solution to, what seems, is a common issue among iphone users.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you using the R6 or the R6 Mark II?  The built-in Canon Wi-Fi has always been slow compared to USB transfers.  The camera is not fully networkable across Wi-Fi, either.  

Are you using the same iOS device with your R6 that you previously used with your 70D and 6D?

Have you taken RAW file size differences into consideration?  Are you transferring just the RAW files?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I completely understand that transfer speeds will never compete with USB transfers. 
However, why is there such a huge discrepency in transfer speed between using the EOS utility on my laptop VS the Camera Connect app, when using the same wifi host setting on the R6?

I would think if anything a newer iPhone would see speed benefits, not the other way around. But also, yes, using the same iphone that I used with my 6D and M50 previously. 

Again, to reitify, I have tried sending the EXACT same RAW file using the EOS utility vs Camera connect and I'm getting 7 seconds VS over 2 minutes.

Also, the 6D and R6 are both approx 20MP cameras, so RAW size difference is negligle. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@onkytonk wrote:

Hello,
I've owned my R6 for a little while now, but my issue is mostly with the Canon Connect app on iOS.

I've previously owned a 70D, 6D and M50 and used the Connect app frequently.

However, since owning the M50 and now R6 I have found that photo transfers have become painstakingly slow. To the point where I've stopped using the app, and using a physical SD card reader plugged into my iphone or ipad. A regular RAW file can take almost 2 minutes to transfer. I've tried using the bluetooth connection that sets up the wifi connection automatically, I've also tried setting up the wifi manually. I've tried on my iphone and ipad with the same issue.
I've read that people that had similiar issues were experiencing this only on iOS devices. So I download the EOS utility app on my laptop, and transferring the same RAW file took under 7 SECONDS!

I have tried resetting settings on my phone, even tried a friends iphone and the same issue exists.

I'm not sure if this is an iOS setting, or the Canon Connect app itself on iOS, but it's simple become unusable. Even the Live View function in the app is barely functioning because it is so unresponsive. Trying to click the shutter in live view can take several seconds to respond.

I'm really hoping this does no land off deaf ears, and there is a solution to, what seems, is a common issue among iphone users.

Thank you.

I am sorry to hear about your issues.  But.  First and foremost, this is a user forum, not Canon Support or Canon Service.  So, I would say that  posting about your issues here could be falling on deaf ears, as you put it.

The issues are with the Apple iOS.  I asked if you are using the same iOS device.  You said that you were.  But, does that also mean you are using the same version of iOS, too?  If I had to guess, then I would guess not.

It is not in Apple’s best self—interests for the Canon software to work seamlessly.  Apple would much rather sell you a new camera in the form of a new iOS device.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements