cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF G70 Problems Exporting Videos

neumurals1
Apprentice

I'm having trouble exporting videos from my Vixia HF G70 camcorder. Usually they all go through to my MAC just using the Apple OS Photo software fine, but lately one or more won't due to some error. (Not exactly sure what). The footage is fine, just stuck inside the camera. . The format the camera uses is .MP4. I've noticed my MAC QuickTime Player won't play that sometimes, instead preferring .MOV. Is Canon more friendly to use with PC photo/video software than MAC? Is there a more reliable universal video exporting software than the MAC OS Photo that I can download? I've never had this issue with a camcorder before. Please help.

neumurals    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

macOS can playback several formats to include MPEG4, H.264 and H.265.

How are you transferring the footage to the Mac? Attaching the camcorder via its USB cable? Or using a card reader to work with the SD cards?  Using a card reader is definitely the better option. Some Macs have built-in SD card readers.  But they are also very inexpensive to purchase if you need one.

I personally use Final Cut Pro for all my video editing needs.  And Compressor when needing to convert to different formats.   But have you tried iMovie?  That should give you much better optional that the Photos application.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

macOS can playback several formats to include MPEG4, H.264 and H.265.

How are you transferring the footage to the Mac? Attaching the camcorder via its USB cable? Or using a card reader to work with the SD cards?  Using a card reader is definitely the better option. Some Macs have built-in SD card readers.  But they are also very inexpensive to purchase if you need one.

I personally use Final Cut Pro for all my video editing needs.  And Compressor when needing to convert to different formats.   But have you tried iMovie?  That should give you much better optional that the Photos application.

--
Ricky

Thanks Ricky,

I used the Mini C plug on the camera to the USB cable connector. Never thought of connecting the card directly somehow. Don't know if my MAC has a built in port but will look. If not, will definitely buy an external one. Hopefully that solves it. Just iMovie is all I need now- for posting on YT. Learning to use 3D software so eventually will switch to more complex FinalCut Pro one day. Thanks again!    

All this time I wondered what the slot was on the back of my MAC was for! Thanks Ricky. Works much better now.

Paul N.

Nice! Glad your Mac has an SD card slot.  It definitely makes things much easier.

--
Ricky

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements