cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LEGRIA HF R506 How to change depth of field.

escalibur2
Apprentice

Good morning,
I have had a Legria HF R 506 in perfect working order for several years. I need to know where I can find the right information in the instruction manual to be able to change the depth of field.
Thank you very much for your help
Siro Carlo

8 REPLIES 8

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

The manual might be available at: https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer/products/camcorders/legria/hf-r-series/legria-hf-r506.... 

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300013666/02/hfr56-57-506-im2-p-en.pdf

I do not have this camera, but from a quick look at the manual, it seems to me that the only control over depth of field will be distance to the subject, wide vs. tight, and tele-macro on or off.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

You will need to use manual exposure. A wide aperture such as f2  will give a shallow depth of field, and a small aperture such as f16 will give a deeper depth of field. You will find that a wide aperture will overexpose the image if you are in bright surroundings so you will have to add an ND filter or filters to the front of your lens to cut down the light, or increase your shutter speed.

Another way of achieving a shallow depth of field is to move away from your subject and zoom in.

Information on manual exposure is on page 72 of the user manual.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0b1 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

Page 72 says nothing about aperture. OP, you will need to use the Portrait special scene mode:

what.jpg

The only place that it mentions a large aperture is here:

aper.jpg

Exposure is controlled by the aperture a lens is set to. You can set it manually or use an automatic setting. Those illustrated on page 61 of the manual are merely built in presets.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0b1 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

The word "aperture" shows up twice in the manual. Once that I posted, and the other saying that the camera contols it to set the exposure. I also posted page 72 which says nothing about setting the aperture.

Post the page in the manual that describes how to set the Aperture independently.

escalibur2
Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your replies, now I have some foundations to work on. I will update you on the results I manage to obtain.
Much good to all of you

Siro Carlo

Siro Carlo        

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

In the M manual mode the Exposure Compensation Dial is used for adjusting the aperture, or iris if you prefer, which is what adjusts the exposure, that is, the amount of light entering the camera. This is how lenses work, whether you adjust the aperture electronically or manually with a ring on the lens.

I understand that, but if you mess up the exposure it doesn't really matter what happens to the depth of field, now, does it?

Announcements