cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eureka! DV tapes discovered; Elura 100 gone for years. What now?

Wagcain
Apprentice

My baby girl turns 17 this summer. I just discovered about 25 DV tapes of her 1st 2 years. Since I no longer have the camera (no idea where or when I parted with it), any suggestions for how to transfer the videos? Another Canon camcorder perhaps? Any other alternatives? Thanks in advance. Kevin in TX (THAT dad...)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would use someone like legacy box. My Sony camcorder to 6to4Wire FW converter to FW to TB1 converter and TB1 to TB2 converter to M1 24 inch iMa to iMovie works now, but I am sure it is one software update away from breaking.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would look into a service that could provide digital files (e.g. H.264.  Bonus points if they could also provide H.265)

The main reason is that you'd need most likely need a FireWire 400 cable and either a very old computer, or a computer capable of working with a FireWire capture card.   The only time I was successful with this was with an old Mac Pro (circa 2007) that had a FireWire 400 port on it.   I used iMovie to capture the footage (play on the camera, then record in iMovie).  This was also a lengthy process as it was in real time.  i.e. to injest 1 hour of footage, it would take 1 hour.   I then used Apple's Compressor application to take the injested footage and output to H.264

If you do have such a setup, you could try it.  But with the quantity of tapes you have (assuming 30 mins each), that would be around 12 hours total just to injest.   A service could save you lots of time and frustration.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Sincere thanks for your detailed reply. I literally just got rid of a MacBook and iMac last summer that would’ve had the capability to do this. I, however, would not have had the patience to see this project through. Thanks again RS-EOS. 

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Hope you can download the tapes as a keepsake. FWIW, my baby girl is 45.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Thank Tintype. Long night, fast years…

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would use someone like legacy box. My Sony camcorder to 6to4Wire FW converter to FW to TB1 converter and TB1 to TB2 converter to M1 24 inch iMa to iMovie works now, but I am sure it is one software update away from breaking.

Much appreciated kvb. 
I will look into legacy box. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements