cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon XA20 has stopped recording audio

tooComplicated
Apprentice

I recorded audio fine a few days ago but suddenly I can't get any sound. I'm connecting an external mic to Input 1. All setting seem to be accurate. I haven't changed anything, but I get no readings on the levels indicator. What am I missing?

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does the Mic need batteries? Are they OK?

On the other hand, does it need phantom power? Is that on?

I've replaced batteries, and the camera is set for phantom power anyway. I've also selected every possible combination of settings on the camera handle just to troubleshoot the issue. I also plugged another phantom-power mic into the 3.5 plug on the camera and that doesn't pick up audio either. And neither does the internal mic.

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

Phantom power only comes from the XLR mic sockets on the handle, not from the 3.5mm jack socket. The 3.5mm socket is for either a dynamic mic or for a powered mic that has its own internal battery.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0b1 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

Good to know, but in any case, no audio was recorded using any method on the camera,. Is there anything else I can check, any firmware reset, or any way to identify what has gone wrong?

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

Apart from a possible handle failure, have you tried another XLR to XLR cable?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0b1 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements