Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

XC15 Use of MIC input without MA-400 Adapter

First post - hi!

Just got an XC15 - first impressions - really nice little high quality camcorder.

One thing I was hoping to do is to use the MIC input sometimes without the MA-400 Adapter attached, to keep it extra sleek but also improve the audio compared with the built in MIC.

As soon as I plug in the external MIC - I get no audio. The only reference in the manual to turning the MIC on - is in the section related to the MA-400 adapter.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!

New Contributor

Re: XC15 Use of MIC input without MA-400 Adapter

Okay update - was trying to use a Nikon ME-1 MIC - but it requires power from the camera, and the XC15 doesn't supply power to the 3.5mm plug, it only can do Phantom power through the XLR connectors.

So if I want to use the 3.5mm plus without the MA-400 I need to get one with it's own power supply (which it does state in the manual)

Turns out the XC10 also requires a microphone with its own power. On many DSLR cameras they are powered through the 3.5mm plug - so not sure why Canon doesn't provide this on the XC10 or XC15.