cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA30 –  Intense Bokeh for Interviews – Specific Menu Settings?

afdskl32
Contributor

I know the basics of having a narrow depth of focus:

-significant distance between subject and background

-large aperture

-zoom

I understrand the underlying principles behind it.

However, I'm new to the XA30, and I'd love to hear a few tips on achieving that narrow DOF 'look' that DSLR shooters can get, specifically with the XA30. I'm talking about specific menu settings, etc.. I shoot for news outlets that are used to DSLR video, and they expect a realatively extreme bokeh look. I love my XA30, and I'm motivated to achieve what they can with DSLRs. I'm definitely a run-and-gun type (hence, my choice of the XA30), but I want to be able to achieve that popular extreme bokeh aesthetic that you typically see in DSLRs. I know the XA30 doesn't have a super large sensor, but still, I need to know how to get as close as I can to what a DSLR can do, with respect to a narrow depth of focus.

By the way, I'm somewhat disappointed by the 'YOU MUST SHOOT VIDEO WITH A DSLR' attitude. It's as if video cameras are looked at as quaint and un-cool.  But that's for another thread...

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@afdskl32 wrote:

I'm not using any particular settings – I'm asking how to get the effect, so that means I don't know what I should be doing

LOL! Well between the two of us, this should be interesting.

If you don't already have a copy of it, you should download the manual from Canon here...

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/professional/xa30/xa30/...

Once you familiarize yourself with the camera's basic controls, jump ahead to page 75. Be sure to switch to MANUAL mode and then open the Scene Recording Program menu and select the "Portrait"  option. This will set the camera to shoot with a minimum depth of field.

You could accomplish the same thing by using the AV auto exposure setting and using the largest available aperture setting. The camera will then set the correct shutter speed depending on your lighting conditions. Under extremely bright lighting it may require a higher than ideal shutter speed and this is where the built in ND filter might come in handy.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll test it out! The portrait mode seems like the key setting. I'll test out Av tough, too

I think I'm pointing you in the right direction. Curious to see if you're getting the results you want. Maybe post a link to some samples so we can see the results.

10 REPLIES 10

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

For what it's worth I'm much more familiar with still shooting than video, but here goes.

I'd guess that you'd want to keep the aperture open as wide as possible like you would with a DSLR. The only problem with this approach might be having to shoot at higher shutter speeds than you might want to for a smoother looking video. Maybe not that much of a problem if you're not panning and there's not too much motion in the scene. Nothing that a ND filter probably wouldn't take care of.

It has built-in ND filters. Do you think it's better to have an attachable one, too?

Probably not. How many stops do the built in ND filters provide? This mostly just shows my lack of experience with shooting video.

Are you using automatic or manual exposure settings? Shooting daylight outdoors or indoors with artificial lighting? Shooting slightly zoomed in will help reduce depth of field as well, though it may also require using a slightly smaller aperture.

Not sure how many stops – I'll check

I'm not using any particular settings – I'm asking how to get the effect, so that means I don't know what I should be doing

@afdskl32 wrote:

LOL! Well between the two of us, this should be interesting.

If you don't already have a copy of it, you should download the manual from Canon here...

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/professional/xa30/xa30/...

Once you familiarize yourself with the camera's basic controls, jump ahead to page 75. Be sure to switch to MANUAL mode and then open the Scene Recording Program menu and select the "Portrait"  option. This will set the camera to shoot with a minimum depth of field.

You could accomplish the same thing by using the AV auto exposure setting and using the largest available aperture setting. The camera will then set the correct shutter speed depending on your lighting conditions. Under extremely bright lighting it may require a higher than ideal shutter speed and this is where the built in ND filter might come in handy.

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll test it out! The portrait mode seems like the key setting. I'll test out Av tough, too

I think I'm pointing you in the right direction. Curious to see if you're getting the results you want. Maybe post a link to some samples so we can see the results.

afdskl32
Contributor
You absolutely did. Thanks! I should be posting a few nature shots with the settings - including a tight shot from a distance. It worked well! The XA-30 isn't as trendy as a DSLR, but it can pull off heavy bokeh with the right settings and composition.

It's really incredible how trendy DSLR filmmaking is and how dominant it has become. I blame hipsters.

Connie923
Apprentice
Hey!!! I have the XA30 and loveeee it too!! Tried DSLRs but seems to require so much to get similar effect! Would LOVEEEE to know how you got bokeh with the canon xa30? What settings are you using?? I’m using Portrait but I don’t see much of a difference? Thanks so much!!!
Announcements