Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

What size sensor ????

Looking into buying a excellant video camera and what is the best size sensor for excellant color and IQ capture? I see by looking at different cameras there are several different size sensors. Feedback appreciated so I do not make a mistake. I may go with a semi pro video camera up to about $2000.00 dollar range. All help appreciated on sensor size and its affect on quality.   Thanks  Bill

Super Contributor

Re: What size sensor ????

Generally speaking the larger the image sensor the better the low-light performance.  For example a 1/2.3' image sensor is larger than a 1/3" image sensor.  The Canon XC10 Professional 4K Camcocorder has a 1" image sensor.  The 1" sensor would be great.  However, that camcorder would be at the high end of your budget.  It retails for $1,999.99 (with a $500 discount) at B&H Photo.  The recording media (CFast Memory Card) for the XC10 can be quite expensive ($199.95 for a 64GB card).  The Canon XA30 Camcorder ($1,599.00 (with a $400 discount) has a 1/2.84" sensor and uses SDXC memory cards which are a bit more reasonable ($34.95 for a 64GB card). 

Are there any particular Canon models you are considering?

New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback very appreciated. I was looking at the XA30.

Thanks again Bill
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Glad I could help.  The XA30 looks like a good choice.  I have two older Canon camcorders (VIXIA HF-G20) with smaller sensors and have been quite pleased with the image quality and low-light performance.