cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia R600: Is there a way to minimize the amount of video noise?

Autolooper
Contributor

Hi!

I could use some tips as to how I can minimize the amount of video noise that appear in videos recorded with a Vixia R600.

Thanks!

-Michael

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Autolooper wrote:

Hi!

I could use some tips as to how I can minimize the amount of video noise that appear in videos recorded with a Vixia R600.

Thanks!

-Michael

Use more light.  The noise levels are likely due to the camera using high ISO values in low light shooting conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hmmm... Is there a way to put more priority on frame rate and minimal noise for situations where lighting can't be helped?

@Autolooper wrote:

Hmmm... Is there a way to put more priority on frame rate and minimal noise for situations where lighting can't be helped?

Hmm.  I have no idea what it is that you are asking, so I will point out the following.  The Laws of Physics will always prevail, meaning that the "Exposure Triangle" will always be true.

Face it.  It sounds like you simply need more light, but you seem to have already known that.  Now, there are cameras out there that may have better low light performance, but that is not the answer you are looking for.

Well, so far I noticed that there's a setting that sounds like it's for low-light, but it costs framerate. More insight into how the settings can be adjusted and what their effects are would help. 🙂

@Autolooper wrote:

Well, so far I noticed that there's a setting that sounds like it's for low-light, but it costs framerate. More insight into how the settings can be adjusted and what their effects are would help. 🙂

If you buy a sewing machine, does the instruction manual tell you how to sew a suit?  If you buy a new car, does the owner's manual tell you how to pass a **bleep** test?  

If you buy a new stove, does the intstruction manual include recipes?  Does the instruction manual for your new stove tell what pots, pans, and cooking utensils to use?  No, to all of the above.

I suggest that you educate yourself on the basics of still photography, beginning with the "Exposure Triangle", and then "Depth of Field".  You should be able to find numerous good articles on the subjects.  Once you understand the basics of stills, then you will be ready to fully understand the exposure limitations presented by frame rates of movies and videos.

Why am I telling you to educate yourself?  Because I had already answered the question that you just posed.  You don't understand exposure.  Period.

I'm aware that there are many resources of information available. I was hoping to get some advice from those with experience using this product line.

@Autolooper wrote:

You need to educate yourself on photography and exposure basics, so that you can better understand the limitations of video. I say this because I have already answered your question, and it went right over your head.  You didn't understand me.  You don't understand the concepts and terminology.  You don't speak the language.  You don't understand the settings.

Use more light. The noise levels are likely due to the camera using high ISO values in low light shooting conditions.

Announcements